ac motor wire size

joeparrish

I was wondering if anyone knows the wire size for a 3 phase 200hp motor for an air comp

the uglys book only goes to 150hp motors

also where would I find this info

The most correct would be NEC. Yes they run you thru several tables to get to the wire size. I would tend to add one wire size just to make sure and I for sure would do a voltage drop calc if a long ways from source ie main distribution not the disconnect.

Dan Bentler

I agree with OZEE, 350MCM, however, as he noted, depends on other derating factors such as:

Ambient temperature
How many additional conductors in raceway/conduit? (are you doing point to point from motor distribution to the motor or are you sharing larger conduit/raceway with other conductors?)

EDIT: Of course assuming standard type insulation and copper wiring.

I was wondering if anyone knows the wire size for a 3 phase 200hp motor for an air comp

the uglys book only goes to 150hp motors

also where would I find this info

What is FLA and Voltage, 480, 575 V?

At 460V and 240 A [fla] table says 250MCM
or 575V and 192 A [fla] table says 000
Thats according to CEC and no derrating.

My "Cheat" slide from Eaton says for a 200HP at 575V, 3PH, 60Hz you'd go with a minimum of 250MCM but do the calcs for other effects as others have recommended.