Totalizer block in Proficy not totalizing

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey GE guys, wondering if any of you had any experience with getting the TOTALIZER instruction working in Proficy Machine Edition. Seems straightforward, and I've configured it as I'd expect you would but the totalized value never increments no matter how long I wait. I made sure the configuration was good (cutoff at 0, rollover at 99,999,999) and followed the example from the Help menu, but nothing. Here's a screen grab, I can provide project if it would be helpful.

8G1Fnxo.png

Hi dYoast, thanks for the link. It's very similar to what I found in the Help Files. I'm wondering if this instruction isn't meant to be used with the PLCs, but rather with iFix/Process Systems; I've come across other instruction blocks that I could technically bring into my ladder logic, but it wasn't actually meant to be used there...very frustrating, PME is just so bizarre because it has all these instructions in the tool box but so many of them don't seem to be compatible with the PLCs. Can't wait to get this project in the rear view mirror.

In the end I created a manual totalizer that looks at the GPM flow and divides it by 12; every 5 seconds, that fractional flow is added to a register and when the register is over 1,000 it increments another register and deals with whatever "overflow" there is. Works well enough, but it takes 11 lines of logic for each totalizer. I could try to put it into a UDFB but I've already gotten burned by that process so I'm wary, and I just want the project done so I'm done experimenting.

Just out of curiosity, what are "HL" and "NR" according to the function block help? Also, the block has R08006 in dark blue and outputs to %R08002, not sure if its significant or not. In PME, when you create a variable but don't associate an address/data type, the variable appears dark blue. Might have something to do with it. Does the address R08006 have some function within the block? If so, %R08006 isnt configured (dark blue text).

I've never used that block as far as i can remember

Like the others, I've never used that function either. Out of curiosity, what happens when you try to validate the target which includes that instruction? Do you get any warnings or errors?
I expect the "HL" node is for a high limit and the "NR" node is perhaps a Boolean output that indicates the running total has reached or exceeded the high limit.

If there is a fault in the "INT to REAL" Block...it will not pass power to the "TOTALIZE" block..
If suspected then move the TOTALIZE block to the next rung.

ALSO...is PV input to TOTALIZE okay for a REAL value (which is 8000R AND 8001R)? Suspect it should be INT...

Do you have "Companion" window open?
When you highlight the TOTALIZER block, "Companion" will describe usage/programming of block.

"Companion" is your friend...

Last edited:
Welll... it appears it does support REAL.. but "Companion" gives some reasons why it might not resolve.

Did you check settings of R8006 in "Inspector"?

I also cannot tell how many registers the TOTALIZER block requires....you might want to make sure none of your other logic is stepping on those registers..

Last edited:
Like the others, I've never used that function either. Out of curiosity, what happens when you try to validate the target which includes that instruction? Do you get any warnings or errors?
I expect the "HL" node is for a high limit and the "NR" node is perhaps a Boolean output that indicates the running total has reached or exceeded the high limit.

Hi Steve, when I validate I don't get any errors or warnings.

HL is a discrete input for HOLD, which will prevent the totalizer from incrementing. NR is a "non-resettable" output (REAL) which is, "the totalized value of PV, over time since the last rollover".

Welll... it appears it does support REAL.. but "Companion" gives some reasons why it might not resolve.

Did you check settings of R8006 in "Inspector"?

Yeah, I made sure that all the parameters were set as per the InfoViewer information given from the help menu, to no avail.

I also cannot tell how many registers the TOTALIZER block requires....you might want to make sure none of your other logic is stepping on those registers..

I did indeed take this into account, and put it at %R8006, where there are no further registers until %R9002; still, nothing.

The help I found was under the PAC8000 heading, so my guess is that this instruction is for Process Systems.

My version of PME (8.5) does not have the TOTALIZER as an option.

I think the roll your own / UDFB option is your best bet.