AB ML1400/K300 communication issue

pgroff9

I'm having an issue getting explicit messaging to work between a micrologix 1400 and Kinetix 300. IP addresses and subnets are set up and I can access both via the ethernet ports but the explicit messages from the ML1400 error with a connection timed out. I'm using the indexing sample program from the Rockwell site for the base for my program.

Thanks for the help

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Generally a connection timeout really means a connection timeout.

Describe your IP addressing, subnetting, and physical configuration of the networking, and provide some details about the MSG instructions.

If I were troubleshooting the system, I would try an Explicit Message to read the Identity Object (Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 1 = Vendor ID = 1 = Allen-Bradley), just to verify that my network ports are set up correctly and there's no possibility that I am mis-addressing an object or register in the target device.

Morning

Micro 1400
Ethernet Ch1(Integral)
IP: 192.168.1.1
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0

Kinetix 300
IP: 192.168.1.20
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0

Standard EthernetA cable between them

Ladder logic attached.
Thanks

Standard EthernetA cable between them

I presume you're online with the MicroLogix via its serial port, then ?

Is there a switch, or do you have them literally connected straight between ?

I'm not 100% certain that the servo and the controller will correctly do auto-MDX or auto-negotiate when there is no switch involved. What do the link status LEDs show you ?

Do you have the same connectivity problem when you connect the MicroLogix, the Kinetix 300, and your computer to an ordinary Ethernet switch ?

Yes the issue persists with an ethernet switch in between. The status light on the switch shows green for connection with no indicator for speed.

Also noted the Awaiting Execution bit is on within the message window.

Found the solution to the communication issue. RSLogix500 V10 has an issue with the extended messaging function. The compiler version 5.44 is the issue. Upgraded Logix500 and comms took right off.