1747-UIC frustration

jstolaruk

Lifetime Supporting Member
For a couple of months now I've been trying to get the 1747-UIC converter to work on two different laptops and have had only one success but I'm unable to repeat it.

Equipment: I have (2) UIC converters, one of them rev A and one of them rev C. (2) different laptops, one running XP-Pro and one running Win2K.

Software: I have the latest RSLinx 2.43.01.23 and RSLogix 6.30.00.

Experience: I took my first PLC/3 programming class in 1984. I've programmed just about every AB product at one time or another including a PLC/4.

I can get the LEDS on the UIC to function correctly, the LEDS on the SLC or Micrologix to blink like there is communication but I can't get anything to show on RSWho. I beginning to think its something outside of the AB S/W, maybe a anti-virus program (McAFee and Sophos).

I believe I've reviewed all of the other threads on this site and have tried all of the possible fixes posted.

Anyone have similar problems? Were you able to get past it?

I guess I can get a hold of the local AB rep but a lot of times they don't have the answer either. I thought I would try here first.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
AB states
"The converter interfaces to RSLinx version 2.42 using a standard DF1 driver and is compatible with Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP operating systems. RSLinx versions prior to version 2.42 require drivers for the UIC and USB port to be installed. The drivers are provided with the 1747-UIC product.

The converter also embeds the DH-485 driver compatible with the existing RSLinx DF1 RS-232 full-duplex driver, eliminating the need for this driver to be installed"

Are you are using DF1 driver and configuring it properly to match the target Baud. Have you tried auto config in RS Linx.

I currently use the 1747 UIC first off I found that it won't work on RS 232. It does however work on RS 485. First off you want your switch towards the rs232 rs 485 serial port.
settings are as follows. device name AB_DF1. comm port (depends on what the USB sets the port as, check device manager under ports)
device 1770-kf3/1747-ke
rate 57600 station number 00.

For RS 232 communications a standard USB to serial converter works I am using an MT609-2
parity none
error checking crc
protocal full duplex.

On RS linx it should show a computer screen entitled 00 1747-uic
beside that when its workling you will see the PLC as 01 +(whichever the PLC name is)

mordred said:
I currently use the 1747 UIC first off I found that it won't work on RS 232....
Its interesting that you state that because thats what I'm experiencing. HOWEVER, I did have it working ONCE but have not been able to repeat it. I was using the switch set to RS232, a 1761-CBL-PM02 connected to a Micrologix 1000. I verified the port settings first by connecting to the 1000 with a standard RS323 port then set the UIC driver settings to the same.
mordred said:
On RS linx it should show a computer screen entitled 00 1747-uic.
And that is exactly what I have displayed in the RSwho window.

Shahn4, if you read the driver notes carefully, AB states that the auto-config does not work with the UIC.

Sure would like to get this figured out. My new laptop has no serial ports and I'd like to retire my old laptop with the port. Thanks for the replys.

Last edited:
If you use the cat 5 connector on the 1747-UIC then you can connect to RS 232 however the db9 port is specifically RS485

mordred said:
If you use the cat 5 connector on the 1747-UIC then you can connect to RS 232 however the db9 port is specifically RS485

So why would the AB brochure specifically state that the UIC can be used with a 1761-CLB-PM02 cable (DB9 to mini-din) to a Micrologix 1000? Or that a 1747-CP3 cable (DB9 to DB9) can be used to communicate with a 5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 channel 0?

I find it hard to believe that there is many errors in the AB brochure. Follow the link above and check it out.

I think it more likely that there is some incompatability somewhere in the driver. Maybe with the USB port. Both the laptops are Toshibas.

Last edited:
So why would the AB brochure specifically state that the UIC can be used with a 1761-CLB-PM02 cable (DB9 to mini-din) to a Micrologix 1000? Or that a 1747-CP3 cable (DB9 to DB9) can be used to communicate with a 5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 channel 0?

I find it hard to believe that there is many errors in the AB brochure. Follow the link above and check it out.

it does work to a micrologix 1000 however try it on a micrologix 1200
as far as testing for incompatibilities. I've tried it on 3 laptops of different manufacturers. The other combo that does not work properly or as stated in the manual is using a 1747 cp3 cable on rthe db9 connector to a SLC 503. instead I used a standard cat 5 cable off the UIC. Give it a try I will be happy if I am proven wrong

mordred said:
instead I used a standard cat 5 cable off the UIC. Give it a try I will be happy if I am proven wrong

Thats understandable, you're using the DH485 connection. I have no issues with that. Its the RS232 port that I'm having trouble with. I haven't used the 5/03 in quite a few years. The 5/04 and 5/05 is what we usually use.

Yes, I've tried it on a Micrologix 1200 and 1500; no luck.

I understand there are easy work arounds for the SLC 500 series (DH+, E-Net, DH-485), its the Micrologix that have no easy work arounds.

Last edited:
mmw said:
I wonder how many of us PLC-4 folks are out there.

Thank goodness I haven't had a call to work on one of these in fifteen years. I'd have a hell of a time getting back up to speed; I'd just tell them to call AB. The last call involved a couple of those damn things in a distributed setup.

The last one I saw (and ran quickly away from) was in a power tool manufacturing facility in Arkansas ... still chugging along.

I expect the AB guys would refer a caller to someone with experience ... maybe you!

mmw said:
The last one I saw (and ran quickly away from) was in a power tool manufacturing facility in Arkansas ... still chugging along.
I expect the AB guys would refer a caller to someone with experience ... maybe you!

Wow, thats amazing you've seen one lately.

I would have to deny any experience with them. I've probably forgotten more than I remember. Whats your phone number LOL?

Well to ease your worry I've tested the micrologix 1200 and slc 503 slc504 off a standard rs 232 usb adaptor the model I used was MT-609-2 the connection works fine through that adaptor. If you build a db9 to cat5 adaptor the 1747-UIC will probably work from the RS 232 port of the 1747-UIC