FactoryTalk Studio SE Stalls when you try to open tag browser

garbagegasman

Ok so when I open the properties of any object in FactoryTalk View Studio SE and try to open the tag browser to change its connection the program stalls and the tag browser won't open. When I open Task Manager and close the program (because you can't interact with it at all) right after the program closes the task manager shows Tag Browser open but there's no window open. I'm still able to change the tag connection by manually typing the tags in when I know them but seeing as we're updating from RSView32 I don't always know what the paths are. I don't know what caused this problem since this system is currently not in use and no one else made any changes in between when it was still working and now.

Any advice would be helpful.

Have you switched from a multi-display setup to a single-display setup ?

The Tag Browser is notorious for getting "stuck" on the desktop co-ordinates of a second display, and becoming effectively inaccessible when you go back to a single display.

There are a couple of Knowledgebase documents about getting the window position back. Obviously the easiest thing is to go back to dual monitor mode and move it back onto the primary monitor.

You could also probably get the window back onscreen by pressing the Browse button then the following keystrokes:

1. Alt-Space
2. M
3. Left, Right, Up or Down Arrow key - until the browser appears.
4. Click OK on the tag browser window to save the current position coordinates.

Actually it has been running on 4 monitors for quite a while and this is the first time we've had this problem. We did change the main monitor designation, so maybe that had a similar effect. I will try changing it back and see what that does.

Ok, so I expanded FT Studio across all 4 monitors and still nothing showed up. It truly does stall the software as soon as you click on any of the tag browser buttons. It seems like the DiB server isn't loading while FT Studio is open. Whenever I use task manager to shut it down though DiB server does open and shows up both in task manager and on the task bar and I have to close it manually.

The Tag Browser is notorious for getting "stuck" on the desktop co-ordinates of a second display, and becoming effectively inaccessible when you go back to a single display.

There are a couple of Knowledgebase documents about getting the window position back. Obviously the easiest thing is to go back to dual monitor mode and move it back onto the primary monitor.

You could also probably get the window back onscreen by pressing the Browse button then the following keystrokes:

1. Alt-Space
2. M

you sir are a genius . Thank you

Ok so when I open the properties of any object in FactoryTalk View Studio SE and try to open the tag browser to change its connection the program stalls and the tag browser won't open. When I open Task Manager and close the program (because you can't interact with it at all) right after the program closes the task manager shows Tag Browser open but there's no window open. I'm still able to change the tag connection by manually typing the tags in when I know them but seeing as we're updating from RSView32 I don't always know what the paths are. I don't know what caused this problem since this system is currently not in use and no one else made any changes in between when it was still working and now.

Any advice would be helpful.

I had this exact problem a couple weeks ago in ME, going from a multi monitor to a single, ended up calling Rockwell Tech and they fixed it in a couple of minutes. Can't remember the registry I edited to fix it though.

1. Alt-Space
2. M
yes! you are the man.

Missing Factory Talk Tag browser

I was working on Factorytalk Me V8.2 and I have version 9.0 installed. Dual screen two instances running, one for duplicating my work onto another screen.

To my surprise the Tag Browser disappeared, every program I had the Tag Browser was gone. I could release the Tag browser request by pushing the <ESC> button but there was no tag Browser. I thought the worst my database is corrupt.

I re-installed ME v9.0 and still had the same problem. I went back to the hotel and tried what KEN has written here. thank you Ken you saved my Bacon once again. I wish you nothing but praise :geek::geek::geek::geek::geek:

Tomorrow I am flying home and I am no longer doomed.

1. Alt-Space
2. M

Took me a couple of minutes to pull it off cause I was laughing pretty hard at how easy it was and how freaked I was getting. One of the down falls of hiding the task bar.

Thank you Ken

1. Alt-Space
2. M

I logged on to quote: You are the man!!!
Saved me from all the time/effort from re-stalling/patch etc !!

1. Alt-Space
2. M

Just used this this morning couldn't figure out for the life of me why I couldn't see my tags. Thank You !! (y)

I was a Disbeliever - PROVEN WRONG !

Had same problem, but was running dual monitors. Forced shutdown of FT Studio, shutdown 2nd monitor and then restarted Studio but still no access Tags DB. Tried Ken's solution : nothing at first and then long press on LEFT arrow (away from old 2nd monitor position and back to laptop display) and low and behold it eventually appeared I was WRONG, Ken was right :D WTF Rockwell !

1. Alt-Space
2. M