AB SLC 5/04 with Panelview 550 communication issue

hsroomi

Hi everyone....

we are a production company and our machine is 10-12 years old. It was running from years, the cpu is SLC 5/04 (1747-L542) communicating with Panelview550.

Cpu goes into fault last night and stops the machine, we try to communicate with pc but RS linx didnt detect the CPU. At last we erase and then download the program backup with our laptop successfully but the Panelview diddnt communicate and displays the message
" No active nodes found on network "

The communication setting is same i.e. node, channel, baud rate etc..... cpu is working fine panel view was communicating fine before this incident and we are getting the same result as well as after swaping the processors. We didnt try to communicate PV with our laptop because we dont have software.

The node is 2 at pv and is communicating via DH485.

Any help would be highly appreciated....

Regards

here is my best GUESS as to what happened ...

before the problem, your PanelView was communicating with the SLC through the SLC's Channel 0 port (the DB9 connector) ... the protocol (language) that was being used was DH-485 ...

something happened to fault/scramble the program in the SLC ...

when you downloaded the backup program to the SLC, the SLC's Channel 0 port was RECONFIGURED to be a DF-1 port – instead of a DH-485 port ... (in simplest terms, the download operation CHANGED the setup of the port – and now the port speaks a different language) ...

so ...

now your PanelView (still speaking DH-485) can no longer communicate with the SLC (which is now speaking the DF-1 language) ...

here's a test to see if what I've said so far makes sense ...

unplug ALL of the cables from the Channel 0 (DB9 connector) on the front of the SLC ... now watch the LED marked "RS232" on the front of the SLC processor ...

if the LED does NOT flash at all (it stays OFF), then the Channel 0 port is probably configured for DF-1 ...

if the LED flashes slowly ON and OFF, then the Channel 0 port is probably configured for DH-485 ...

if my GUESS is correct, the LED will not flash – which means that you'll have to take steps to change the configuration of the port back to DH-485 in order for your PanelView to properly communicate ...

in most cases, you'll find this easiest to do by going online with the SLC through the DH+ port (either of the top TWO connectors on the front of the processor) ... from there you should be able to reach the Channel Configuration feature – and set the configuration for Channel 0 to DH-485 ...

but ...

if you cannot go through either of the DH+ ports, you can probably go online through the Channel 0 port – by using the DF-1 driver in RSLinx ... from there you should be able to reach the Channel Configuration feature – and set the configuration for Channel 0 to DH-485 ...

note that as soon as you do this, your computer (speaking DF-1 language) will lose communications with the SLC (which is NOW speaking the DH-485 language) ...

but – if all is well, then your PanelView should start talking again ...

DISCLAIMER: all of this is GUESSWORK based on what you've posted so far ... if this doesn't get things working, I suggest that you post a copy of the backup program (RSS extension) that you've downloaded to the SLC so that we can examine the communication setup ... (you'll need to ZIP the file first – forum rule) ...

also if you have a backup copy of the PanelView program (PBA or PVA extension) it would be a good idea to post that too ...

also if you have to post again, ALWAYS give the specific CATALOG number of the PanelView ... for example: 2711-B5K5 ... there are MANY different types of PanelView 550 models – and there is no way for us to nail down the specific communications that you're using without knowing the specific catalog number ...

I hope this helps ... peace ...

dh485_setup.PNG

here is my best GUESS as to what happened ...

before the problem, your PanelView was communicating with the SLC through the SLC's Channel 0 port (the DB9 connector) ... the protocol (language) that was being used was DH-485 ...

something happened to fault/scramble the program in the SLC ...

when you downloaded the backup program to the SLC, the SLC's Channel 0 port was RECONFIGURED to be a DF-1 port – instead of a DH-485 port ... (in simplest terms, the download operation CHANGED the setup of the port – and now the port speaks a different language) ...

so ...

now your PanelView (still speaking DH-485) can no longer communicate with the SLC (which is now speaking the DF-1 language) ...

here's a test to see if what I've said so far makes sense ...

unplug ALL of the cables from the Channel 0 (DB9 connector) on the front of the SLC ... now watch the LED marked "RS232" on the front of the SLC processor ...

if the LED does NOT flash at all (it stays OFF), then the Channel 0 port is probably configured for DF-1 ...

if the LED flashes slowly ON and OFF, then the Channel 0 port is probably configured for DH-485 ...

if my GUESS is correct, the LED will not flash – which means that you'll have to take steps to change the configuration of the port back to DH-485 in order for your PanelView to properly communicate ...

in most cases, you'll find this easiest to do by going online with the SLC through the DH+ port (either of the top TWO connectors on the front of the processor) ... from there you should be able to reach the Channel Configuration feature – and set the configuration for Channel 0 to DH-485 ...

but ...

if you cannot go through either of the DH+ ports, you can probably go online through the Channel 0 port – by using the DF-1 driver in RSLinx ... from there you should be able to reach the Channel Configuration feature – and set the configuration for Channel 0 to DH-485 ...

note that as soon as you do this, your computer (speaking DF-1 language) will lose communications with the SLC (which is NOW speaking the DH-485 language) ...

but – if all is well, then your PanelView should start talking again ...

DISCLAIMER: all of this is GUESSWORK based on what you've posted so far ... if this doesn't get things working, I suggest that you post a copy of the backup program (RSS extension) that you've downloaded to the SLC so that we can examine the communication setup ... (you'll need to ZIP the file first – forum rule) ...

also if you have a backup copy of the PanelView program (PBA or PVA extension) it would be a good idea to post that too ...

also if you have to post again, ALWAYS give the specific CATALOG number of the PanelView ... for example: 2711-B5K5 ... there are MANY different types of PanelView 550 models – and there is no way for us to nail down the specific communications that you're using without knowing the specific catalog number ...

I hope this helps ... peace ...

Hi, we have the same problem here in our company. except the green light/LED of RS232 flashes slowly.

Error Message: "612 No active nodes found on network".

Last edited:
Hi, we have the same problem here in our company. except the green light/LED of RS232 flashes slowly.

Error Message: "612 No active nodes found on network".

Welcome to the forum.

Tell us the processor you have. Post it's program if you can. (zip it first)

Please provide the complete catalog number of your PanelView.

Also tell us how the PLC is connected to the PV (cables and or hardware)

We use AB PLC SLC 5/04 and PANELVIEW 550 connected using RS232 Cable

We never change anything but today an error appeared, the error message is;
"612 no active nodes found on the network".

The LED of RS232 flashes slowly ON and OFF.

We also try to connect it with a laptop with RSLinx software but we can't established connection both PLC and PV.

Thanks,

Last edited:
We use AB PLC SLC 5/04 and PANELVIEW 550 connected using RS232 Cable

Please provide the complete catalog number of your PanelView.

What driver are you using in RSlinx? How are you connecting to the PV and PLC with your Laptop? ( Cables and or hardware)

Is the PLC running it's program?

Can you post the PLC's .RSS file (zip it first)