Panel View plus comm problems

smiller

We have recently built a 345KV substation that is using a SLC5/05 for SCADA control and a Panel View plus for local alarm dislay. We have an extensive fiber network to the substations on property and go through a GE JungleMux SONET system. Are there any known problems with the PANEL View plus units? We experience a drastic slowdown of the JMux node when the PV+ is plugged in to the hub. AB has been evasive but mentioned that there are known memory leak issues and then clammed up about it. I am working with a contract engineer on the problem and haven't been able to make any progress. I have tried a different PV+ and an early version of firmware as well as the latest firmware as provided by our vendor. Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe Mr. Roach?
thanks
smiller

I think that your PV+ is working as intended. At least, as AB intends Ethernet/IP to work. An Ethernet/IP node will broadcast packets all the time. It is a part of the way Ethernet/IP works.

Maybe you can filter away the undesirable packets by exchanging the hub for a switch (who uses hubs these days ?).

Does the PV+ communicate just with the SLC-5/05 on the local network segment, or with SLC-5/05's on remote network segments through the JMux ?

I admit that I don't know anything about SONET links. I always use isolated Ethernet networks for control systems.

PanelView Plus has had it's share of challenges, but I fail to see how some hypothetical memory problem would result in excessive network traffic. There's nothing special about the PVP EtherNet/IP driver that does any broadcasting or multicasting (it's strictly EtherNet/IP Class 3 messaging traffic, as far as I know), so the traffic between the PV+ and the controllers is only what you ask it to be.

Check the "Display Update Rate" for each PV+ display, as well as update rates for any trends. If you have the update set for 50 milliseconds, for example, that might produce a lot more Ethernet traffic than your inter-segment link can handle.

What sort of tools are you using to examine this system ?

Last edited:
I heard before that an Ethernet/IP node would broadcast in order to query for new connections. Maybe I am wrong.

edit: But even if it doesnt broadcast, if it is connected via a hub, its messages will arrive at all the attached network nodes.