How to find links that aren't visible on a screen

BAJ

We are using FT View ME v10. I'm trying to clean up some display errors for a customer. Some tag naming was changed as part of a standardizing exercise and now some displays get tag errors for tags that are completely unrelated to the display.

If you check all the visible objects on the display, the tags do not appear (can select with a box around everything, CTRL-R, and it doesn't show up). But if you do CTRL-A CTRL-R, it's in that list. Dragging the window edges to the max extents (beyond the usable dimensions) it still reveals nothing.

So how do we get rid of links we can't see?

Thanks,
-Brad

You can export the screen out to an xml file, find the tag in the structure there using notepad ( or better, notepad++), then use object explorer to find it on the screen

See if FactoryTalk View Application Documenter helps.
It located in FactoryTak View -> Tools. At least in FTME 8.1 it is.

Answered my own question. Here's what I did. USE CAUTION - you could delete something you needed if you are not careful/sure of what you are doing!

Start by doing a create runtime/export/backup your config NOW so you can revert if bad stuff happens here!

1. Do CTRL-A CTRL-R on the display with the mystery link, copy the mystery tag from the list. Close pop-up.
2. Do CTRL-F, paste the tag link and search all displays for it. Double-click the Found item: below (doesn't look clickable, but it is). The display with link will open.
3. If you see an object with the selection handles, it's visible. If you don't, it *may* be hidden - use caution here!
4. If you know the tag should NOT be on that display, click on the Window Title Bar for the display (not in the display!) and then press the DEL key.
5. Do FIND NEXT, repeat steps 3 and 4.
6. Repeat all steps for next mystery tag.

Worked for me.

Cheers,
-Brad

You may also need to look for tags that are pointers. When screens are opened up with parameter files.

You could see tags that look like [My_PLC]{1}{2}{3}

Good point Rob. In this case, the OEM who originally did the PV screens didn't know about parameter files, or global objects, or many other PV features. They made some really basic displays. And ended up with some tags that were not in the visible space of the screen, and then duplicated that display to several more displays. If we hadn't worked on standardizing tag names we wouldn't have found them either.

Last edited: