PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A

PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/index.php)
-   LIVE PLC Questions And Answers (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RSLogix Emulate 500 and Windows 7 64bit (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=69841)

OkiePC February 29th, 2012 03:35 PM

RSLogix Emulate 500 and Windows 7 64bit
 
I have RSLogix Emulate 500 version 6.00.00.07 (CPR9) installed on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and it opens and runs, however, in RSLinx Gateway 2.59.00 there is no emulate driver apparent in my list, and none appears when I am running a project in Emulate.

Is it possible to "go online" using this combination of OS and software?

I am buried in work and don't have time to pore through know-base articles today.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

jkerekes February 29th, 2012 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Logix500 Emul driver is not an available selection in RSLinx? Have you installed the driver? According to the spreadsheet, W7 x64 should work

OkiePC February 29th, 2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkerekes;471 662
Have you installed the driver?

Is that a separate step?

It's not listed when I configure a driver.

Ken Roach February 29th, 2012 05:47 PM

I realize it's not the same revision but I wanted to contribute that I have RSLinx Classic 2.57 running on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, without RSLogix Emulate 500 installed, and the Emulate 500 (DH485) driver is still an option.

The RA Knowledgebase seems to have some conflicting information.

The RSLinx Classic 2.58 Release Notes say the RSEmulate 500 driver is supported in Windows 7.
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.c...il/a_id/454584

I couldn't find a Knowledgebase edition of the RSLinx Classic 2.59 release notes.

But the current RSLinx Classic support matrix for versions 2.58 and 2.59 shows the RSEmulate 500 driver not supported in Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.c...ail/a_id/58963

So I don't know which one is right. Somebody needs to get their wrist slapped for letting two "current" documents conflict.

jkerekes February 29th, 2012 05:53 PM

Is the driver NOT available in Linx OR did you not install it?

OkiePC February 29th, 2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkerekes (Post 471676)
Is the driver NOT available in Linx OR did you not install it?

I did not install it outside of the normal installation of Emulate 500 and RSLinx. It is not available in the drop down list when I configure drivers.

The first time time I installed Emulate 500 in '06 on my old XP box, and the recent time a couple of months ago, I don't recall the "EMU" driver being a separate installation or optional within the RSLinx/Emulate installation. That may be the case, but I have slept since then ;)

It's not a deal breaker, just something I noticed today when I was trying to analyze some code from a machine that was unavailable for real testing. I was able to figure out what I needed using alternate methods.

I remember installing Emulate, Logix, Linx and others a few months ago on my new Win7 machine, and I thought I tested everything, and maybe I did. A week or two ago, I had problems with RSLinx crashing very frequently, so I updated it from 2.57 to 2.59. In doing that, I may have broken the Emulate driver, and it didn't fix the crashing problem (blowing away the harmony files fixed the crashing problem).

Thanks for the help so far. I will worry about it tomorrow when I get back to work. If necessary, I may go back to RSLinx 2.57 to get it back, since the drivers I gained going to 2.59 are of no use on that PC anyhow.

MATT116 February 29th, 2012 09:53 PM

Windows 7 Pro? Just use XP mode to run emulate and linx in

OkiePC March 1st, 2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MATT116 (Post 471694)
Windows 7 Pro? Just use XP mode to run emulate and linx in

I tried to set up RSLinx and FTView Studio in XP Mode and RSLinx can only see one device on our controls lan. I tried two different methods of mapping the virtual NIC and had no luck getting RSLinx to work correctly inside the virtual PC. I have no idea why one point I/O adapter shows up and nothing else...My other goal was to use the Crimson 3 emulator which does work, except it can't "talk" through the real NIC either.

My IT guy is supposed to get me an XP license so I can use VMWare for FTView.

As for the Emulate problem, I think it is what Ken Roach said. They took the driver away in version 2.59 of RSLinx.

MATT116 March 1st, 2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkiePC (Post 471760)
I tried to set up RSLinx and FTView Studio in XP Mode and RSLinx can only see one device on our controls lan. I tried two different methods of mapping the virtual NIC and had no luck getting RSLinx to work correctly inside the virtual PC. I have no idea why one point I/O adapter shows up and nothing else...My other goal was to use the Crimson 3 emulator which does work, except it can't "talk" through the real NIC either.

My IT guy is supposed to get me an XP license so I can use VMWare for FTView.

As for the Emulate problem, I think it is what Ken Roach said. They took the driver away in version 2.59 of RSLinx.

I'll have to look at RSLinx 2.59.
What processor do you have? It may not support virtulization or its turned off in the BIOS. I have a i7 860 which does support virtulization and I can see everything through XP mode but then I also have a i7 2600K which does not support virtulization so I can only see some things through XP mode kinda like what your experiencing.

OkiePC March 1st, 2012 12:19 PM

Well, another identical machine with RSLinx version 2.57 still has the driver available. I guess next time I get bored and can do without Linx for an hour I will revert to the older version. This is what I get for surfing the bleeding edge...and I know better...

MATT116 March 1st, 2012 12:51 PM

Yea but the edge is so much fun

OkiePC March 8th, 2012 10:59 AM

Well fudge, I uninstalled RSLinx v2.59, and reinstalled v2.57

Lo and behold, the "SLC 500 (DH485) Emulator driver" is now listed and I can even select it, but the stinking "Add New" button is greyed out...

I guess I never did actually go online using this win7 x64 PC and Emulate 500.


Paul

EDIT: DOh, nevermind. It must be greyed out becuase it is already running...it was already in my backed up rsx file and was restored after the installation...I am now online with RSLogix emulate 500, using windows 7 x64 and RSLinx v2.57.00.14 CPR9 SR3

techwing June 19th, 2012 02:25 PM

RSLinx 2.59 registry "patch" to resolve Emulator 500 driver issue
 
I received the following from RA support. It has allowed me to get the emulator to show up in RSLinx 2.59 running Win 7 x64 Pro. Essentially a manual patch to create the needed registry key (the driver DLL turns out to be installed already).



Open the Registry Editor (Start-->Enter regedit in the open field).
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->Wow6432Node-->Rockwell Software-->RSLinx-->Loadable Drivers.
Right Click on Loadable Drivers and select New-->Key and name the key EMU500
Right click on EMU500 and select New-->DWORD (32-bit) Value. The name of the key should be AutoLoad. Double click on the AutoLoad to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog. Enter 0 under Value Data and select Hexadecimal under Base. Click OK button when finished.
Right click on EMU500 again from the left-hand side and select New-->DWORD (32-bit) Value. The name of the key should be DriverID. Double click on the DriverID to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog. Enter 13 under Value Data and select Hexadecimal under Base. Click OK button when finished.
Right click on EMU500 and select New-->DWORD (32-bit) Value. The name of the key should be Flags. Double click on the Flags to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog. Enter 2 under Value Data and select Hexadecimal under Base. Click OK button when finished.
Right click on EMU500 and select New-->String Value. The name of the key should be Description. Double click on the Description to open the Edit String dialog. Enter SLC 500 (DH485) Emulator driver under Value Data. Click OK button when finished.
Right click on EMU500 and select New-->String Value. The name of the key should be DLL. Double click on the DLL to open the Edit String dialog. Enter ABEMU5.DRV under Value Data. Click OK button when finished.
The SLC (DH485) Emulator Driver should now appear available in RSLinx to configure.

antwan_jacoup August 27th, 2012 07:23 PM

Emulate Done
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by techwing (Post 489999)
I received the following from RA support. It has allowed me to get the emulator to show up in RSLinx 2.59 running Win 7 x64 Pro. Essentially a manual patch to create the needed registry key (the driver DLL turns out to be installed already).



Open the Registry Editor (Start-->Enter regedit in the open field).
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->Wow6432Node-->Rockwell Software-->RSLinx-->Loadable Drivers.
Right Click on Loadable Drivers and select New-->Key and name the key EMU500
Right click on EMU500 and select New-->DWORD (32-bit) Value. The name of the key should be AutoLoad. Double click on the AutoLoad to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog. Enter 0 under Value Data and select Hexadecimal under Base. Click OK button when finished.
Right click on EMU500 again from the left-hand side and select New-->DWORD (32-bit) Value. The name of the key should be DriverID. Double click on the DriverID to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog. Enter 13 under Value Data and select Hexadecimal under Base. Click OK button when finished.
Right click on EMU500 and select New-->DWORD (32-bit) Value. The name of the key should be Flags. Double click on the Flags to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog. Enter 2 under Value Data and select Hexadecimal under Base. Click OK button when finished.
Right click on EMU500 and select New-->String Value. The name of the key should be Description. Double click on the Description to open the Edit String dialog. Enter SLC 500 (DH485) Emulator driver under Value Data. Click OK button when finished.
Right click on EMU500 and select New-->String Value. The name of the key should be DLL. Double click on the DLL to open the Edit String dialog. Enter ABEMU5.DRV under Value Data. Click OK button when finished.
The SLC (DH485) Emulator Driver should now appear available in RSLinx to configure.

Thank you very much

Operaghost August 27th, 2012 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can confirm that did the trick in version 2.59.

I was able to create the driver, download and go online to the emulated SLC.

I am including a .reg file that has all those steps done for you.

You can open/edit the file in Notepad if you want to verify the contents. Double-click on the .reg file to update your registry.

OG


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

.