PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A

PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/index.php)
-   LIVE PLC Questions And Answers (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My PLC trainer....construction pics (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=12401)

jdmartin8 January 18th, 2005 09:33 PM

My PLC trainer.... first pic

1 Attachment(s)
It's mounted on plexiglass, and the wiring is not complete, but I think you get the idea. There is merely for learning when away from the office, and yes, I still have to mount two more lamps.

Jim

Rube January 18th, 2005 11:42 PM

Nice job so far

I notice you have enough room in the upper right hand corner for a miniature...

...traffic light.

jdmartin8 January 19th, 2005 06:18 AM

LOL.... Sorry, Mark, I ain't goin' there !!! hehehe

elevmike January 19th, 2005 07:08 AM

Nice setup,

Personally I wouldnt bother with the lamps...the output leds do fine for me.

randylud January 19th, 2005 08:01 AM

Rock on brother!

I like it Jim, although you may be missing an opportunity here by discounting the TL thing as Rube mentioned.

Eric Nelson January 19th, 2005 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by randylud
...although you may be missing an opportunity here by discounting the TL thing as Rube mentioned.
He's got one (actually 2). You just have to tilt your head to the left!... :D

[attachment]

Looking good, Jim. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress!... :thumb:

beerchug

-Eric

hd_coop January 19th, 2005 01:05 PM

I'm working on building one at home as well. An AD DL-06 in my old PC case. Current plans are to use it as the worlds most expensive timer for my fish tank lights :p

I'll try and get a picture up tonight. I'd like to get it working by this Saturday since I'm going on a cruise for a week and dont want my parents to have to worry about it while I'm gone.

MikeW January 19th, 2005 01:10 PM

And when Jim gets REALLY good at programming, he can use the blue light for "Left Turn Only" ;)

Looks like a great setup for learning.

jdmartin8 January 19th, 2005 01:15 PM

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I not concerned with duplicating the dubious old traffic light, but one thing I will be simulating is the green/amber/red stacklights that are used on our systems. I'm going to layout the lamps a little different, so if you see something that resembles a traffic light, IT AIN'T !!

Thanks again..... wiring will start tonight

Jim

pstephens January 19th, 2005 02:09 PM

Greetings, Jim (from a fellow Hoosier!)

Your picture makes me want to build something like that myself. It would be a fun way to try out different gizmos and new programming ideas. What would be cool would be to add a small linear actuator of some kind, and some limit switches. (Maybe even a small motor and encoder, if it suits your inputs.) Nice work!

Paula

[Small suggestion for future reference: Consider keeping related posts in one thread, instead of beginning a new one -- it just makes for better continuity as others follow your progress. Not a big deal, though.]

jdmartin8 January 19th, 2005 03:05 PM

Thanks for the compliments and comments, Paula. I'm located a few miles south of Fort Wayne. Are you in the northern half of the state, or the southern? Just curious...

Suggestions about future posts is understood, and I will try to follow.

Careful this weekend.... If you're up north, major, major winter storm arriving !!

Jim

pstephens January 19th, 2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jdmartin8
Careful this weekend.... If you're up north, major, major winter storm arriving !!
Yikes! You better stay inside http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ies1/Yikes.gif

I'm in the southeastern part of the state (about 45 minutes from Cincinnati), and I don't think we're supposed to get too much over the weekend, but who knows. We got a healthy dose of snow from that storm that hit right before Christmas -- 24.5" total! -- but fortunately it didn't stay around long. Keep yourself warm, Jim!

Paula

jdmartin8 January 19th, 2005 06:01 PM

Additional pics.... mounting base

1 Attachment(s)
Here's how I decided to mount the trainer. I wanted something that would be at the right angle when sitting on my desk, so I went with a 45 degree angle, and it's just about perfect.

Now to get the wiring finished ..... more pics to follow

Jim

jdmartin8 January 19th, 2005 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and another...

CaseyK January 19th, 2005 11:49 PM

Good Job Jim!

But as far as the Traffic Light brigade members, shame on you!

regards.....casey