Assigning IP address to Compactlogix L32E

smiller

Hi all,

I am trying to assign an IP address to a Compactlogix L32E. I'm using RSLogix 5000 V15 Pro and have flashed the processor. I am able to communicate with the PLC via the serial port, download and run a program without a problem but I'm not having any luck with Ethernet.I have entered the desired address in the General tab of the Ether dialog. When I try to put it in the port config tab I get "incorrect module CIP object in module does not exist" I'm using Linx 2.42 and I am not having any difficulties using Ether with my SLC 5/05. What am I missing?

Thanks

Steve

And here is a link to the same problem in the RSLogix forums.... Don't know if you'll have the same solution they did, but thought it was worth putting out there.

RSlogix 5000 is not the right tool: you must use RSlinx or BOOTP.

IP adderess on the General TAB in RSLogix 5000 properties does nothing to the module IP.

SLC or PLC5 are different, IP set in the project there.

Another tip - take out any leading '0' (zero) in your IP address (if there are any). I had this problem once and taking out the leading zero cured it o_O but I still never figured out why.

It's part of the IEEE specification for IP addressing that leading zeros are interpreted as designating an Octal value instead of a decimal one.

For example:

192.168.1.10 designates the Host "ten"
192.168.1.010 designates the Host "eight".

This doesn't answer the original question (Contr_Conn is right; use RSLinx and the Module Configuration applet) but it sheds some light on MartB's question.

and the penny just dropped............

Excellent answer - hadn't thought of that, but now that I see it, it makes complete sense, Thanks Ken. :geek:

This is also my first experience with any Logix family and we are using the L32E. After downloading serially and going online I right clicked - in I/o configuration - the '1769-L32E Ethernet Port LocalENB'. From the resulting 'Module Properties' display I selected the 'Port Configuration' tab. From there I set the IP, the subnet mask and pressed the 'set' button. That seemed to do it. I was then able to contact the PLC via Ethernet at the selected address. Isn't this 'doing it from within RSLogix5000'?

While I set the proper address/mask/options in Logix5K's hardware config, I always actually assign the IP using the BOOTP utility.

The main reason is I need to have a very large gun held to my head before I'll use the serial port to flash the CPU or download a program. BOOTP the IP address, then do everything else over ethernet.

Why use RSLINX and not RSlogix?

With ControlLogix and FlexLogix you should not have ENBT module in I/O configuration at all unless you do I/O control.
I/O configuration called so because it is for inputs and outputs only.
This comment is valid for all communication modules (DHRIO, CNB) not just ENBT.
There are multiple technotes about this in RA KB.

IP assignment in I/O configuration may be OK with Compactlogix because Ehternet module is a part of the processor and always listed in I/O config.

If you call techsupport they will tell you use RSlinx to assign IP

Thanks for the responses. I followed MartB's suggestion and removed a leading 0 in the IP address and that got me past the error message, then I was able to connect via Ethernet. I have never seen that problem before, I always put in a leading 0 in a one or two digit octet. I won't be doing that anymore. Ken, I am using Linx 2.42 build 18 and do not see the applet that was mentioned. Where is it? I have used Logix500 for a while and set the IP from there. I'm new to Logix5000 and climbing the learning curve.

Thanks again.