Printing over ethernet with Guardlogix 5380?

plc1

Looking to Print over ethernet with a 5069-L320ERMS3 Compact GuardLogix 5380 Safety Controller.

Printer model yet to be provided. But a few questions before I get started

Can A PLC print a .PDF file ?
Would it be able to populate fields in that file ?
Would it be able to just spit out data csv or otherwise to a blank sheet of paper

Desired end result: Print a pass fail forum with serial and lot number of part tested. Part number entered by HMI, Test result via peripheral/modbus adapter

Great, thanks in advance !

Excel can pull the data through RSLinx (FTLinx) if you want to go that way.

Export a PDF ?? ... wow I can't even imagine how much effort it would take to pull that off from within the PLC.

If you used a serial receipt printer you could do a simple pass fail sheet as you describe pretty easily with the 5069-serial module.

Desired end result: Print a pass fail forum with serial and lot number of part tested. Part number entered by HMI, Test result via peripheral/modbus adapter

In my opinion this is a task better suited to the HMI. I've done it using a GE Quick Panel HMI using a "Page Print" command in a VB Script. Script execution triggered by an operator action.

Ethernet Printing to PDF

All of it is possible.

Since all ABs no longer have serial ports by default, TCP Socket communication is standard with later model PLCs and PACs (CompactLogix & ControlLogix). Rockwell has a sample code to transmit text using Raw Telnet protocol. Customizing the code requires a little time and effort. Standard office printers work fine with these controllers. If kiosk serial printers are required, a standard off the shelf device server will work fine to convert the telnet to serial. These are much less expensive than an expansion serial card.

A PC, imbedded computer, or server can capture the TCP Socket data, store the text in a file, and print it to PDF using Libharu. The key is to set it up.

Check out these well used and tested applications: https://github.com/DaDaDadeo/Cycle-Print-To-PDF