Compact/ControlLogix firmware upgrades

robw53

Hi,

I'm currently putting together a schedule to bring all our compact and controllogix processors up to a standard firmware level, and then attack the PV+'s.

I currently have some new equipment that I standardised on V30 for Studio and V9.0 for FTVME, so that will be the level I will go for. I probably have around 30-40 processors or more to update the firmware on, and in some instances swap out the L32E's for L33-ER's. The current firmware varies from V19, V20.13, V20.03, a couple V21's V24 and V28.

I am seeking out advice or recommendations (even horror stories) on how this is best performed. I have been looking at the "comparability checker" on the RA site as each processor has multiple drives, HMI's, some motion, remote I/O etc and i want to make sure I don't get caught out with incompatibility issues. Many years ago I upgraded an L32E from V16 to V19 when V19 had been out a good 6 months, only to find the PV would lock up and do the strangest things. so this is something I want to avoid having happen.

Any input gratefully received.

Rob

If it were me and your not getting any problems, if it isn't broken, then don't try and fix it.

Yes it's lovely to have everything on the same firmware and only carry the one laptop or install the one VM, but you have to measure the risk v reward.

I speak from experience, that just leaving something alone that was working fine, would of avoided a lot of pain and downtime!

If you want to avoid problems, set everything up in the workshop and run a quick acceptance test before putting on the shop floor. Make it permanentish so you have a test bay ready to go in the future.

Things to look out for:
L33 is much faster to execute than a L32, so potentially timing issues.
V30 does something different with ethernet/IP from V19, so you may have to upgrade the panel at the same time. If you want to do a phased approach of processor first then hmi later, definitely test both scenarios in your test bench.

Enjoy that feeling of having the 4th S of the 5S methodology (Standardise) until next year when you buy equipment that comes with V31.

Is now a good time to point out that Windows 7 is out of extended support in 2 years time?