Upgrading RSLogix & RSLinx

junior

I have a client that has RSLogix 500 v4.3 Standard & RSLinx v2.3 Professional. I need to upgrade their RSLogix 500 to v 8.1 standard because they bought some new processors and v4.3 is not compatible with them. Do I need to upgrade both RSLogix & RSLinx? If I only upgrade the RSLogix then the RSLogix will be at CPR9 but the RSLinx will be at a version even before the CPR releases.

Also, since they already purchased these two software packages, they already have activations for them. Is there a cheaper way to upgrade them without spending money for full new packages?

TIA
Jr.

If your customers already has a license for RSLogix and RSLinx Professional, all they need to qualify for software updates is a TechConnect support contract. Even the "eConnect" contract qualifies them for updates on all of their software.

Yes, you should update RSLinx as well as RSLogix so that you can support all new processors (you need RSLinx 2.54 to support the MicroLogix 1400, for example).

Thanks Ken,
My client has bought their software through my company, do you know if I can upgrade my clients software with my companys TechConnect support contract? or can I only update the software that my company owns?

I'm not sure if there's any restriction in the Terms of Use or software license about using Tech Connect to update software for which the licenses are owned by others.

There's nothing in the software you download that prevents it from being used on any computer. The licenses stay on the customer's PC (they'll be old-fashioned EVRSI licenses) and you just install the updated software.

I have several OEM and Integrator customers who provide this kind of "pass-through" software update support for end users who don't have their own support staff or contracts. For this reason I'm particularly stringent on enforcing their support renewals.

You can only get software "Qualified for Updates" if it is registered to you and listed as in-support on your TechConnect agreement. Either your customer will need to purchase some level of TechConnect, or they will have to transfer ownership of the software back to your company. If you purchased the software and then sold it to them, did you transfer registration to them? The reason I ask is: I deal with TechConnects all day long, and many machine builders'/OEM's forget that last step, and I wind up telling my customers to get them to send in a registration transfer request. If you know their serial #'s, have your local distributor check PASSPORT (Rockwell system) to see who they are registered to. If they are still registered to you and are in-support, you can upgrade the software and THEN transfer the registration. If thye are only unsing RSLinx Lite, it can be downloaded for free w/o a TechConnect.

Ken, he can do what you suggested, as long as it is supported on his TechConnect, and he is comfortable passing the updates to his customer. All it cares about when you "Qualify for Updates" on the download site is: Correct last name of the regstered user and the serial number is supported on that user's support agreement.

You can only get software "Qualified for Updates" if it is registered to you and listed as in-support on your TechConnect agreement. Either your customer will need to purchase some level of TechConnect, or they will have to transfer ownership of the software back to your company. If you purchased the software and then sold it to them, did you transfer registration to them? The reason I ask is: I deal with TechConnects all day long, and many machine builders'/OEM's forget that last step, and I wind up telling my customers to get them to send in a registration transfer request. If you know their serial #'s, have your local distributor check PASSPORT (Rockwell system) to see who they are registered to. If they are still registered to you and are in-support, you can upgrade the software and THEN transfer the registration. If thye are only unsing RSLinx Lite, it can be downloaded for free w/o a TechConnect.

We bought the software from Rockwell for our client, and when we purchased it, Rockwell asked us who the registered user would be and the software got registered under my clients company name, so my client is the registered user.

I made a mistake, my company has the e-connect contract and not the TechConnect contract. I think they're basically the same except the e-connect doesn't have the phone support.

My client is willing to spend the money for new software, but I'm trying to see if there's a cheaper way to get it done.

Your client needs to contact Rockwell software and purchase a service contract which will allow them to update their software as needed. This is what I did and turns out it was a good move as I had a hard drive crash lost my software and had to re-download both rslinx and rs500 from website. Not so expensive and well worth the money!
LR