Ethernet/IP question

Tactician

Hello,
I am new to this forum but have been around PLC's for awhile. I am doing a design for a new flexible automation fixture and had a question. Does Ethernet/IP I/O have the same ability for plug and play as Devicenet? I am planning on using removable parts that have I/O mounted to them. It will be then replaced by a new fixture with a separate block.

Thank you for your time.

Depending on what type of I/O you are using will depend on what is 'plug and play'.

Typically any I/O modules will be plug and play, as long as you are replacing with the same module.

The ethernet adapter however will not have an IP address when it is shipped, so therefore before adding to the system this IP address will need to be assigned.

This is for Rockwell products but I am sure Siemens and many other brands are the same.

Mark

If I assign the I/O a static IP, will I be able to inhibit the logic when I add a new I/O block? And that way keeping any existing logic specific to each individual fixture? I will be running a compactlogix system.

Yeah you would be able to do that.

All you would have to do is have separate routines for each I/O block and put a condition in front of the JSR.

However you would also need all of the unused I/O blocks in the I/O configuration tree, where you will get yellow exclamation marks and an I/O not responding, which for me when writing code will safely stop the system.

Mark