480 VAC to 24 VDC.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
What is your opinion about using a 480 VAC (3 phase) to 24 VDC power supply compared to using a 480 VAC to 110 VAC transformer and then a 110 VAC to 24 VDC power supply?
Is using the 480 VAC to 110 VAC transformer option better regarding filtering noise, for example?

Thank you!

I use them all the time. Much simpler, and all of the 480x3 to 24VDC supplies I use are isolated through the DC-DC converter of the switching supply. Much simpler. I've never noticed any switching noise on the 24V side either.

I've had so many issues with them. I always step it down twice to get to 24V. I assume it's due to the large step down.

When I worked for a tier 1 supplier, it was a company policy, that we could not use 480V to 24VDC PS.

Hope that helps.

Depends on the needed power rating but if you talk about one with three-phase input it will probably have a large power and in this case the advantages are big compared to use a transformer:

- Saves space in the cabinet
- You avoid an important heat source as the transformer is.
- You avoid unbalanced intensity between phases.

We use PULS 480V 3-phase to 24V bulk power supplies for all of our heavy 24V needs. In our experience they are efficient, compact, and reliable.

Previously we used Phoenix Contact QUINT series, and they were reliable as well. We switched vendors just for distribution and price advantages.

In the places where 480V is flaky (like Japan) we run the critical stuff on 24V battery buffering units.

We use PULS 480V 3-phase to 24V bulk power supplies for all of our heavy 24V needs. In our experience they are efficient, compact, and reliable.

+1 for PULS. The QT20.241 is our standard power supply. Available worldwide, including China (which is unfortunately where we build a lot of our stuff now).

What about noise? A motion components distributor is saying the 480 VAC to 24 VDC power supply in our control panel can be introducing noise the motion sub-system.

What about noise? A motion components distributor is saying the 480 VAC to 24 VDC power supply in our control panel can be introducing noise the motion sub-system.

Every motion guy I've heard complaining about noise was trying to sell some kind of smoothing component. Sometimes they were actually necessary.

Previously we used Phoenix Contact QUINT series, and they were reliable as well. We switched vendors just for distribution and price advantages.

In the places where 480V is flaky (like Japan) we run the critical stuff on 24V battery buffering units.

Phoenix will do competitive costing. Send them the info on the PULS and price.
Usually they will beat it by a few bucks.
I keep them inline by sending them pricing from Automation direct.:D

I've used the A/D and Puls brands with zero problems. There are places where it makes more sense to skip the transformer altogether. I can't imagine a noise problem being made worse, and expect the overall efficiency to be better with a 3 phase input.