Comms to FX3U

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking at getting comms to an FX3U to Ignition. There is already an expansion card left of the PLC giving Ethernet.

I am using Ignition Edge Panel so don't want an HMI with drivers.

Looking at the DataStation from Red Lion DSPLE000.

I see in the drivers list it has these for Mitsi:

A/Q/FX Series TCP/IP MasterEthernetYY A/Q/FX Series UDP/IP MasterEthernetYY FX2N Encapsulated TCP/IP MasterEthernetYY Q Series TCP/IP MasterEthernetYY A/Q/FX Series - MELSECSerialYY FX SeriesSerialYY MELSEC 4 SlaveSerialYY MELSERVOSerialYY

I was going to add an MB3170 to convert Modbus RTU to TCP as well, but if the data station can do that on RS485 2-wire then all the better. The moxa is almost £300 now, online price for DSPLE is £635 so if I can do away with the moxa then the DSP is quite reasonably priced.

I was going to add an MB3170 to convert Modbus RTU to TCP as well, but if the data station can do that on RS485 2-wire then all the better. The moxa is almost £300 now, online price for DSPLE is £635 so if I can do away with the moxa then the DSP is quite reasonably priced.

The adapter card (left hand side) that plugs into the PLC is different to the Enet card that fits in the I/O bus on the right, never used the adapter & I know it is limited, the usual connection is to use the programming protocol "Melsec Connection" The redlion data station should have a driver for this as I expect it is the same protocol as the serial 422 port but encapsulated.
If using the 422 programming port then be aware that many HMI's or other communication units have to be set at 9600, The FX defaults to that on power up, I know that Beijers HMI's like GXDev & Works can force the baud rate I believe it tries all rates to connect & then forces the FX to the rate the HMI is set to, I used kepware with ethernet encapsulation to a Ethernet to 422 converter to get data from a FX3U, It worked at 115kb but I noticed after a day it stopped communicating, went on-line with GXWorks at 115 kb & when I connected the ethernet converter it started working, eventually realised that providing the FX is not powered down it will stay at the rate you set it at but defaults to 9600 on power down/up. Kepware is not capable of auto change of the baud rate & it is possible other HMI's or software may not be able to, many years ago I had a proface that only seemed to work at 9600.
If you do not need high speed coms then 9600 would be fine, I would expect most HMI's will have some form of coms for Melsec connection via the Ethernet adapter.
If using ModBus then I believe you will need a card with the MB sufix, this goes for the 232/422 interface cards as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Parky. I reached out to my local red lion distributor and he advised that the DSPLE is active mature and perhaps not the best choice now. It has been superseded by Flexedge DA50A. Both units should talk to the Mitsi comms card on left (think it's called ADP maybe).

The modbus is only for talking to danfoss soft starts.

1. FX-ENET-ADP has very limited options.
2. FX-ENET-502 is intended for Modbus TCP/IP
3. FX-ENET is with all capabilities and it supports Modbus if you install libraries or you make your own code for it. Libraries are available free of charge. It supports up to 8 simultaneous connections, email, etc. (I use only this one)

If your panel supports Melsoft/MC protocol, you can use any ENET card.

Last edited:
Goghie is right, the ADP does not have MB, there is a card like Goghie says that fits on the right that is MB compatible but the standard is not so you would need to write some code never used the libraries for MB so cannot comment on how good/easy they are, the ENET card is definitely the one to go for far more options like MB, MC Protocol, Melsec connection etc.
This is the one I have always used.

Sorry I didn't clarify enough, the modbus is for Ignition->Danfoss comms only. The PLC does not need to know or control status of the danfoss over Modbus. That will be hard wired.

When I get some time I will download Crimson and ensure it can do Melsoft/MC protocol.

Thanks all.

Just had a look at Crimson, never used it but it looks like it has the Drivers for the FX range both 232 & ethernet, I noticed if you load the UDP driver the ports are in the 5000 range this is what I have used on Kepware so it looks like it has the drivers required.