Barcode scanner and production display

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!

I have a customer that is starting to talk about two things for the future. He has only mentioned them but I want a head start before he starts to ask questions.

The scenario is that we have several production lines that I'm in the making of commisioning a statistics system based on s7-1200 and WinCC Flexible 2008 RT with archives.

1. The lines produce products with barcodes. He's talking about having a barcode scanner that will tell my system (s7-1200) what product they are currently producing on that line. So I guess I need a barcode scanner, but can anyone point me out to the right direction on what to look after. I have seen barcode scanners that remember a barcode and make a output signal when it reads it again. But here we are talking about connection an individual barcode to a product and name in my s7-1200. Anyone have knowledge on what barcode scanner to look for? I guess it's not just a regular one but a more advanced and it would be connected through a network (modbus tcp or rtu?).

2. He wan't product displays to display the lines PPM. Ofcpurse it should be cheep (as always), but it would be good if it is connected through modbus tcp (or similar) since I have switches on every line but only a few wires to connect for signals to/from the s7-1200. Anyone know a good brand or where to start looking.

Thanks for suggestions

/Tim

You should consider using Sick bar code scanners. The set up software is free, very comprehensive with many possible functions. I have installed several communicating with S7-300 plc's over Ethernet. Technical support is free and they are very helpful. Have a look here http://www.sick.com/group/en/home/p...systems/pages/bar_code_scanners_series_6.aspx

Intresting, I stumbled upon them yesterday searching for barcode scanners aswell.

How easy are they to setup in the PLC? I will use a s7-1200, I guess they are compatible to? I've never used this kind of communication before (ethernet) with s7-1200, only with siemens VFD. I read that I can dowload gsd files for it but the operations manual doesn't say how it is implemented in a PLC, only that it operates on Profinet. Is it tricky to setup in the PLC?

Since I've never worked with these kind of devices I can only guess that the only thing I need is to get a signal(variable) from the barcode reader that is used to identify the barcode? This I can store in variables in my memory of the PLC to compare to what I read the next time?

I guess that the wring and installation is pretty straight forward and the PLC programming will be the tricky part (for me).

/Tim

All the blocks & DB's you need in the plc are freely available from Sick and I found the documentation pretty easy to understand. I had to configure some logic in my plc to trigger mine, although you can attach a trigger sensor direct to the scanner controller. How much other code you need depends on what you want to do with it and whether you're displaying the codes on a screen or logging them. I've never set them up on an S7-1200 cpu but Sick are a world leading company in this area and the support they provide here in the UK is excellent from my experience.

All the blocks & DB's you need in the plc are freely available from Sick and I found the documentation pretty easy to understand. I had to configure some logic in my plc to trigger mine, although you can attach a trigger sensor direct to the scanner controller. How much other code you need depends on what you want to do with it and whether you're displaying the codes on a screen or logging them. I've never set them up on an S7-1200 cpu but Sick are a world leading company in this area and the support they provide here in the UK is excellent from my experience.

Sounds like a very good and flexible sensor. How mush is the cost(approximate)? No need for an exact number, just curious as reference.

I've used Sick over Ethernet/IP on an AB PLC and found it very user friendly - I came onto the first one with no barcode scanner experience and with just a couple of pointers from the site engineer and a read through the manuals I had it up and running very quickly. Not used one on a Siemens PLC but if their documentation is as good across both platforms I don't think you can go too far wrong :)

I've used Sick over Ethernet/IP on an AB PLC and found it very user friendly - I came onto the first one with no barcode scanner experience and with just a couple of pointers from the site engineer and a read through the manuals I had it up and running very quickly. Not used one on a Siemens PLC but if their documentation is as good across both platforms I don't think you can go too far wrong :)

I've found the instruction to the s7-300 and it seems pretty straight forward. I have no knowledge about the s7-300 but the way they explain it in the manual is very userfriendly. Good to hear alot of people with positive experience of this, very usefull information!

I've tried some free bar codes scanner resources, some problems are exist with them, but most good bar code scanner on websites need payment, but some have free trial, I've tried this bar code scanner library, I think it's good, but you can check it whether it meet your needs.