Studio 5000 Message Communication Path

Pete_S

Hi,

I am trying to configure a CIP data table read MSG instruction to read a tag on a L85E controller and write to a L82E controller. The L85 routing is 10.10.114.23,1,0 and the L82E is 10.10.114.111,1,0. I am struggling with the path. My understanding from the programming manual is that my path in the Communication tab would be 1,0,10.10.114.23,1,0. However when I try to enter this I get an error "Use of period of alphabetics is restricted to IP addresses, which cannot appear as the first field of a path. My IP address isn't the first field in my path, so I am confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think the CIP Path for a 1756-L8 controller is simply "2, IP"

The 2 is for the Ethernet port on the front of the controller when used in Ring mode. If you split and use two IP interfaces, they are Ports 2 and 3.

The "1,0" is not necessary at the end of the CIP Path because the message goes directly to the L8, and does not need to go through a backplane port (1) and 1756 Slot number (0) to get to the CPU.

I usually need to stop and think, and stop again, and quadruple-check my work every time I manually configure a CIP path.

What I usually do to make it easy is add the path to the other controller in the IO configuration. You have the bonus of knowing the path is right if there's no errors in your IO config. Then enter the named controller in your message instruction. If you now delete the path from the IO configuration, the message instruction will reveal the CIP path.

I think the CIP Path for a 1756-L8 controller is simply "2, IP"

The 2 is for the Ethernet port on the front of the controller when used in Ring mode. If you split and use two IP interfaces, they are Ports 2 and 3.

The "1,0" is not necessary at the end of the CIP Path because the message goes directly to the L8, and does not need to go through a backplane port (1) and 1756 Slot number (0) to get to the CPU.

Thank you Ken, my issue was using 0 instead of 2 caused the syntax to fail as cant get to an IP address directly from the CPU. I am used to using ,1,0 with our Controllogix Ethernet driver to hit the CPU, and forget its different going controller to controller.