Kinetix 6500 MAH Error Problem

taylor1982

I have connected an incremental encoder with 4000 pulses/rev to the auxiliary feedback connector of a Kinetix6500 module.
I want to reference that encoder (find the marker pulse).

For that I use the MAH-command. In the motion group axis properties tab for "homing" I have set the mode to "Passive" and the Sequence to "Marker".

The routine for referencing turns the axis so the encoder value is increasing and I trigger the MAH during this time. When I do that the MAH generates instantly an .ER when I enable the MAH.

The .ERR code is 3 (overlap with different motion command).
But there is for sure only the MAH command active. No other commands are programmed.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Last edited:
Smarter people than myself will chime in, but I'll take a crack in the meantime. It's quite possible that I'm mistaken but I believe that when the axis is set to passive homing, it is up to you to write the logic to home the system. You would not use the MAH instruction. This would mean writing the commands to move the system, stop it and redefine the position (MRP). When the axis is set to Active, you would use the MAH, define your homing parameters on the axis homing tab.

If I understand your post correctly, it looks like you are enabling the MAH command while another command is running. That is the overlap. The MAH command will initiate the homing process including the motion to make it find home. You do not have to initiate motion, then issue the MAH. The system sees that another command is active and creates the overlap fault. Someone can chime in and correct me if I misunderstood the info given.

I think you should use the active homing not the passive.
the passive homing does not move the axis, it's used to calibrate a Feedback-only axis to its marker

If I understand your post correctly, it looks like you are enabling the MAH command while another command is running. That is the overlap. The MAH command will initiate the homing process including the motion to make it find home. You do not have to initiate motion, then issue the MAH. The system sees that another command is active and creates the overlap fault. Someone can chime in and correct me if I misunderstood the info given.

For this feedback axis I have only one motion instruction programmed and this is the MAH. Also the tag for this MAH is only used once.

I think you should use the active homing not the passive.
the passive homing does not move the axis, it's used to calibrate a Feedback-only axis to its marker

Yes I wan´t exactly calibrate a feedback-only axis to the marker.
The axis is driven by a vfd. I have a separate logic to rotate the axis during the MAH command.

Just as information for guy´s who might have this problem in future. I discovered the 2094-EN02D-M01-S0 safe torque off control module where the auxiliary feedback is connected as defect.
It seems that only the marker pulse detection was defect. Track A/B was OK. Really strange that because of this the MAH went to error state...

Now I have replaced the module and it works fine.

Thanks for your support here!

Thank you for posting that follow-up !

Since you were using a Homing instruction that uses the Marker pulse, it makes sense that a defective marker pulse input would cause a failure of the MAH instruction.

The fact that the fault occurs immediately instead of in 1 revolution suggests that the marker pulse input was always True.

The error code is misleading, so it's especially helpful for you to post this resolution. Thanks !