New Laptop.No serial ports.Looking for best USB to Serial cable to SLC 500

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I just purchased a Windows 10 Hp Laptop. Of course no serial ports , but 3 USB ports . Need a USB to Serial cable to go to SLC 500 PLC . What is the correct Rockwell Automation cable to go from the USB ports on this laptop to the serial ports of these SLC 500 5/03 & 5/04's ?

Do they work , well ?

Thanks so much for your help . Have a good week .

If money isn't a huge deal or its easier to for you to purchase directly from your AB distributor, you can buy a 9300-USBS directly from Rockwell. If you are buying one personally, there a forum member sales a 3rd party one on his website for about 10% of the Rockwell ones price.

What is the correct Rockwell Automation cable to go from the USB ports on this laptop to the serial ports of these SLC 500 5/03 & 5/04's ?

Do they work , well ?

Thanks Guys!

Rob, we have both aftermarket and OEM, this is a good set and the price is right for the 5/03 and 5/04

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-1747-cp3-1761-cbl-pm02-1756-cp3-programming-set/

If you need to go on the DH+ on the 5/04 its not cheap but we have a couple we offer https://www.plccable.com/search.php?search_query=u2dhp&section=product

Let me know if I can help
Mark

I've had very good luck with this one. It even works with the RSLinx auto configuration (DF1 full duplex)

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Com...ocphy=9033254&hvtargid=pla-441737207476&psc=1
In previous threads regarding the same topic (every couple of years it gets asked again and again), some people have warned about these cheap adapters with the Prolific chips. But I too have had success with such a USB adapter with Prolific chip.
If I had to support a couple of SLCs via DF1 over their serial ports, I would also just get one of these.
For DH485 or DH+, it would be a different matter.

If you have a process network, it might be worth investing in a serial to ethernet and then you can create automated backups, or if you want to trouble shoot without going out to the PLC cabinet.

Ive never had any issue in W7 or Server 2012 R2 with any adapter from amazon so long as it had an FTDI chip in it. The prolific ones gave my nothing but problems when i bought one of those first.

All the controls guys in my company carry the Keyspan/Tripplite USA-19HS.

It's a little more expensive than some of the bargain units, but its stability and compatibility have been fantastic. Works well with DF1 Autoconfigure, as well as having a very useful serial data sniffer and easy COM port management utility.

NO general-purpose serial to USB converter will work with DH485 protocol; for that you need a 1747-UIC or equivalent.

I have ran into some older equipment that the keyspan doesnt work on. The dos version of the software that is used for Thermo Automate and Autopilot Flow Computers.

I always carry a few different models of these just for that reason.

I've run into just one device that the Keyspan won't work with; Parker Compax3 servo drives.

Parker recommends a Cables Unlimited USB-2920 that has a FTDI chipset.

We use 7 different chipsets for cables... some just play nice and some just dont :rolleyes:

We do sell a lot of cables everyday and have sold a ton since 2007 (when we started), most people do not buy our general USB to RS232 they opt for the cable to the specific processor, its cheaper than buying a serial cable and a USB adapter and its easier to keep up with one cable and not several cables for connecting to one PLC.

DF1 is good and plays nice with most, we use the same chipset in our generic USB/RS232 and our AB cables because it works great with them. I can't remember when the last time I was told it did not work with any Windows OS or VM, I guess this is why we can offer a lifetime guarantee on them.