Configure inputs for S5-115U

supporter

Hi Experts,

I've started a small hobby-project and for this I'm using a S5-115U. I'm using a programming software called PG-2000 (not a "real" Siemens product but it seems to work). I'm able to program the PLC without any problems, so far everything is fine.

Next step, I want to connect a few inputs to the PLC. I've a card with 32 * 24V inputs. I've connected 24 volts and the LEDS are reacting as expected. However, I imagine that I need to configure the hardware (what kind of cards that are connected to the rack). I can not find a setting for this in the software. Or do I need to program this?

All suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks!

//Supporter

S5-95U, S5-100U and S5-115U series didnt need much hardware setup. There was something in DB1, but most times you didnt need to modify it. From S5-135U and up you had to set dipswitches on the modules, but that is another story.
On S5-115U the addresses of the i/o is determined by the location in the rack. It is in the manual:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/1085937

supporter said:
Hi Experts,

I've started a small hobby-project and for this I'm using a S5-115U. I'm using a programming software called PG-2000 (not a "real" Siemens product but it seems to work). I'm able to program the PLC without any problems, so far everything is fine.

Next step, I want to connect a few inputs to the PLC. I've a card with 32 * 24V inputs. I've connected 24 volts and the LEDS are reacting as expected. However, I imagine that I need to configure the hardware (what kind of cards that are connected to the rack). I can not find a setting for this in the software. Or do I need to program this?

All suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks!

//Supporter

The S5-115 I/O was hard coded in the PLC memory.Each slot after the CPU has 32 bits of I/O which can be either Ins (I) or Outs (Q). If a 32 bit I/O is inserted all 32 bits available. If a 16 bit card is inserted only first 16 bits are available

first slot after CPU is addressed as:

I0 ( bits 0 - 7 ) or Q0
I1 ( bits 0 - 7 ) or Q1
I2 ( bits 0 - 7 ) or Q2
I3 ( bits 0 - 7 ) or Q3

next card :

I4 ( bits 0 - 7 ) or Q4
I5 ( bits 0 - 7 ) or Q5
I6 ( bits 0 - 7 ) or Q6
I7 ( bits 0 - 7 ) or Q7

next card :

I8 ( bits 0 - 7 ) or Q8