Encoder help

backtoplc

I am trying to understand Encoders.
We are using Gurley R158 encoder on our motors. When I hook up an oscilloscope to the output, I get a 1MHz square wave.
We are looking for a replacement, BEI rep suggested BEI DHM5 series encoder.
The DHM5 spec has a max frequency of 300KHz.
R158 has interpolation. Is that why I am getting 1MHz?
I am looking for an encoder that can give 1MHz output. Any recommendations?

How is the Gurley encoder connected? Is it single ended or differential? How many channels? At what shaft RPM do you get 1MHz? Does your real world application actually reach this speed?

I have never used Gurley, but I have not had any problems with BEI and I would tend to trust their expertise with encoders, so if they are working with you to come up with a replacement, I would expect that they know what they are doing and can stand behind it if they've made a mistake.