Powerflex 525 F080 Autotune Failure anomaly?

mylespetro

Hey everyone, ran into a strange issue trying to autotune a motor using a PF525. For context, there's an enclosure with two 525s in it, controlling two motors with identical nameplate data:

575V, 60Hz, 3HP, 3.44A, 1720RPM

We went to run a Static Tune on Motor A through Drive A and we got fault F080 - Autotune failure. After checking the troubleshooting section of the manual, it said either the start command was interrupted or the autotune actually failed. After double checking that we weren't losing our start input (we were jumpering +24VDC from terminal 11 directly to terminal 2 and didn't pull it off), and trying the autotune several times, we kept getting the same fault. Afterwards we ran the Static Tune on Motor B through Drive B and it went off without a hitch. After doing a resistance test of the windings in addition to meggering the motors (11 ohms on all 3 windings on both motors, 550Mohm on the megger on both motors), and thinking about how to narrow down the cause, we swapped the motor leads on the two drives so that Motor A was connected to Drive B and vice versa. We then ran the Static Tune on Motor A (which was failing the autotune) through Drive B and it completed the autotune successfully, while the Static Tune on Motor B through Drive A returned the same F080 fault again. We double checked that the parameters were all the same on both (motor NP data etc), and everything was the same across both. Anyone have any idea why one drive would fail an autotune on multiple motors that another drive were able to successfully autotune? We do have a spare 3HP drive so we're going to try swapping the power section out tomorrow and see if that works, and if not we're going to try swapping out the control module as well. Is it unreasonable to assume that there's an issue with the drive out of the box? The only other thing I can come up with if it's not the drive is some strange wiring issue that is causing an induced voltage in a conductor or something like that.

If both motors tune OK through drive B and both motors don't tune through drive A, then I would suspect that drive A has some sort of issue and would need changing, it could be either the power or control module.

Alan.

Swapped the power module and it autotuned successfully. Not sure what the issue was, will contact my local AB drive rep and see if he’s seen the issue before.