Automation Direct & GE Fanuc VersaMax Micro: 24VAC On 24VDC Inputs?

kittydog42

I have been transitioning new applications to the GE Fanuc VersaMax Micro 14 from the Automation Direct DL-05 due to issues that I have been having over the last 5 years with digital input failures with the latter.

I had tinkered around with applying 24VAC into the DC inputs on the Automation Direct, and it seemed to work with some filtering logic to remove the frequency oscillations. It seemed as though the hardware is isolated and can take it without damage. I remember a thread about that but can't find it now.

Does anyone know if the GE Fanuc VersaMax Micro can accept this voltage as well? They will not explicitly allow it (because it is not on the specs)if I ask their tech support department. It seems to work but I don't know if it will damage the equipment over time.

I can't speak to that with confidence, but it seems that you would at least damage the protection built in to most digital inputs.

Why not use solenoid drivers to gracefully convert the 24VAC to 24 VDC? Not terribly expensive, and they can usually fit right on the terminal strip in place of normal straight-through terminals.

A side note:
The GE Fanuc Series 1 and Jr. had I/O that was designed for 24 Volts AC or DC.
Ahh, the octal days.

The input to a PLC is an optoisolator. The diode (LED) inside can't take more than 5 volts reverse voltage. I suspect this is what's getting damaged when you hit it with AC.