RSLogix 500 activation

lc03

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem here this morning,

I have been called to a job, at a site I have not attended for over 8 months, to look into a 'program' fault with one of the machines.

On starting up RSLogix 500 I was greeted with the message:

FATAL ERROR!
THE COPY PROTECTION LICENSE FOR THE APPLICATION COULD NOT BE ACQUIRED.
ERROR: 2

After much head scratching, I can only imagine that the IT dept. have been doing a disk cleanup or something (no one else has access to this PC).

I have RESET the activation on the master disk, hoping to transfer it to the hard drive.

But when I try to transfer, I get the message:

ACTIVATION FILE CORRUPT - INVALID SERIAL NUMBER

(This IS the master disk that came with the software before you ask!)

I have no manuals or contact numbers here on site with me, can anyone help?

Thankyou JesperMP,

I have discovered since posting that the software will run with the master disk in the floppy drive, even without transfering the activation. In my blind panic I wasn't thinking straight!

Seem to remember the software won't run like this forever though?

Here is the US numbers...Don't know if it is going to help.
[attachment]
There is also away to set the computer to look at the "A" [floppy drive] for an activation disk and start RSLogix even without an activation key. You may have to search the Rockwell site for that info.

For the Heck of it.....
Have you tried putting the activation disk in and then try to start RSLogix?

Good Luck,
Bob

Edit...
lc03
The software will run like that until RSLogix is shut down. Glad you got it.

rockwell support.jpg

Last edited:
I've had this happen to me, usually caused by a disk defragmentation program.

You have to remove the current corrupt activation, then re-activate the software.

Do a search for: EVRSI.SYS & 386SWAP.PAR, delete these files, then try moving the activation. You may have to reboot between deleting and moving

A work around is:
If you have multiple partitions, and one is bad, you can install activation on different partition.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I have searched for these files and cannot find them, but still no luck with moving the activation.

How can I remove the current corrupt activation?

Why is this so complicated :confused: ??

I guess i'm gonna have to call AB banghead

If you lost the key from the hard drive, you won't be able to load another from the floppy until it is reset by Rockwell. I've done this before. They tell you where to find the files to delete, then give you a code number that will add one install to your floppy, then transferred to your hard drive. Your gonna have to call them in any case.

By the way, I think you can use the floppy in the A: drive forever with AB. I think I remember Siemens having some temporary usage setup for lost keys, though.

The files are hidden files, so you have to select the show all files option. They are usually located on the root directory.
C:\ for instance.
The swap file will not be present on NT based products, such as Win2k, and WinXP.

I have searched for these files and cannot find them

That's more evidence that your IT department is at fault; they've either removed the activation files or have made them "hidden" such that you don't have the rights to see them. If the software was once licensed on that computer, it's certain that the EVRSI.SYS file is there too.

It's an old and clunky activation system, but RSI can get it resolved in the space of a single phone call. Go ahead and call the UK offices.

By the end of 2005 there will be a much more durable activation system in place for RSLogix, using a simple text key instead of hidden files and activation disks.

There is one other possibility for why you are experiencing this: Is you software part of an Integrator's Toolkit? These have "timed" activation; when your contract is up, it quits working. I learned this the hard way when my old company sent the renewal payment directly to Rockwell instead of our distributor. They didn't know what to do with the check, so they just deposited it and our licenses expired anyway. If this is the case, and you are going to "legally" renew, you can set your PC clock back a couple of months and it will start working again.

I've also reset activation through a phone call.
A couple of words of advice though;
Use the phone by the computer and have the computer running at the time of your call, that way you have quick access to the evreset program and can relay any faults that come up. If a corrupt file and the activation is your only problem, it should be a snap.

P.S. Don't go to EBay

Sorted!

Thanks to everyone who replied:

I have now found the offending files:

386SWAP.PAR
evri.sys

and removed them, after a re-boot I was able to transfer the activation (which i had already reset online). :D

Thank goodness for PLCTalk.net !

This issue came up again to me this Friday afternoon just before the end of the workday, with a customer who needs to get on a plane this weekend with his newly-activated software. For the life of me, I could not find the corrupted EVRSI.sys file.

I googled this thread from somebody else's computer, and it reminded me that you need to change the Folder Options not only to show hidden files, but also to show hidden operating system files (because Windows considers .SYS files to be OS files). That allowed me to find and delete the EVRSI.SYS and 386swap.PAR files and re-load the fresh activations.