Inserting a module in an existing I/O tree.

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Morning all

Using Studio 5K v 29

Lets say...........engineering changes a design :sick:

I started my I/O tree and now I needed one more 1769-IA16 in the middle next to the other three

When adding new module the only option is to add it at the bottom of the tree.

Are there any tricks to insert it in the middle some where, with all the other IA16's

Or is the only option to discard all the post-existing modules and start over

Just tying to save a little time

Any and all feed back welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

You would have to move all the modules after it to "insert" a module into the middle.

But the good news is you don't have to - any module can go in any slot, so just add your new one on the next available slot....

OR, just change the slot numbers of the modules you need to move - no need to delete them and start over

OR, just change the slot numbers of the modules you need to move - no need to delete them and start over

Thanks daba, I'm not quite sure how to make that happen. From the properties page of the individual modules, the drop down only has that slot number and then available slot to choose from.

Thanks daba, I'm not quite sure how to make that happen. From the properties page of the individual modules, the drop down only has that slot number and then available slot to choose from.

You have to work backwards - say you had used slots 0 to 9 and you want to put your new module in slot 5, then move....

9 to 10
8 to 9
7 to 8
6 to 7
5 to 6

... then slot 5 becomes available.

Is code already written for the existing I/O ? If it is you will need to make changes to it....

Of course daba is correct, you can add modules using his method without deleting the modules first. Keep in mind also that each CompactLogix controller supports a certain number of modules. Hopefully you aren't already at that limit. For example, the 1769-L30ER supports 8 modules.

You have to work backwards - say you had used slots 0 to 9 and you want to put your new module in slot 5, then move....

9 to 10
8 to 9
7 to 8
6 to 7
5 to 6

... then slot 5 becomes available.

Is code already written for the existing I/O ? If it is you will need to make changes to it....

No sir I was just setting up the PLC ( L33 ER ) and modules so I could start assigning tags.

Haven't written line one yet.

Thank you very much for sharing this

Of course daba is correct, you can add modules using his method without deleting the modules first. Keep in mind also that each CompactLogix controller supports a certain number of modules. Hopefully you aren't already at that limit. For example, the 1769-L30ER supports 8 modules.

Nope

Learned that one the hard way last project. It's why I chose the L33 instead of the L30.

Thank you all

This worked and i didn't have to re-write all those existing tags.

daba...........sharp as a tack. ( quoting Okie..)