The difference between (resolver & encoder)

MAHER

HI every body

I have in my work a more type of machines which uses (RESOLVER) and the other one uses (ENCODER), but i know the concept of working for the (ENCODER) and also i know how can iuse it in the program.The (ENCODER) has 5 terminals as follwing:

1-for 24V
2-FOR GND
3-FEED BACK IN THE FORWORD (24V)
4-FEED BACK IN THE REVERSE (24V)
5-FOR RESETTING.

BUT idon't know any thing about (resolver), so i want to know :

1- the feed back .
2-how can it transact with the plc to determine the position for the motor.

please i want also the construction for it.

thanks for all

maher

Encoders are digital, incremental devices. Providing discrete logic-transition states for each output pulse. Absolute encoders can have many output lines, but are still digital devices.

Resolvers are analog devices, with theoretically infinate resolution of the shaft angle, and are almost inherently capable of reading absolute shaft position.

Resolvers need external circuitry (generally) to supply both source excitation to the windings, and to interpret the phase-difference coming back from the windings.

hi

it's not clearly for me this do you have any paper to illustrate the resolver for me which has (the costruction and application ).

thanks for helping

maher

huh...?

it is a position feedback device. any time you can use position feedback, you can count on resolver as posible solution. lookup LVDT for example, it doesn't rotate but basic principle is the same.

application? well, any time you want to measure angle or shaft position. we use them for example in nuclear environment (can't use encoder or anything with electronics)

Resolvers are used in crank presses. Lead or ball screw applications. Carriages. Any application where the absolute position must be known at all time or if the application is prone to shock. Optical encoders are frail compared to resolvers. Now there are magnetic encoders which are just as rugged. There are also SSI encoder that can also provide absolute positions and have a much more standard interface. We sell very few resolver interfaces relative to SSI or incremental encoder interfaces. SSI is the most popular interface now because it works with both linear and rotary feedback devices and with so many different brands. Resolver interfaces require an excitation signal that can vary by voltage and frequency.