Vision Sensor

Bratt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Maybe i little off topic but i give it a shot anyway :) . We are about to invest in several visionsystems for inspecting that silicon have been laid out with good results. We are currently using laser senors for this task but they are very time consuming since the robots or nc axis have to go around the same path twice.

Anyway now to my question we have come down to two suppliers. Cognex and Rvsi. Both companies seems to have good products and i wonder i any of you guys have positive or negative experience with the products of theese suppliers and which supplier we should choose.

Have them do a test on your actual parts before you buy anything. Never delt with Rvsi but Cognex always did that for us when I was at my previous employer.

Make sure you give them parts that represent actual production conditions. Many times, people only supply "perfect"= parts for testing or parts that have been cleaned or altered in some way. Vision is sensative in ways normal sensors and switches are not. It's a whole different way of thinking.

Make sure you give them parts that demonstrate all the failure modes or features you expect to detect.

There seems to be a lot of black art left in the "science" of vision inspection.

Good Luck