Random number generator

TdB

Hi guys,
I need your valuable suggestions about writing a module (AWL Step7) generating random integer numbers...
Let's say the users define the range of the numbers and an input (on negative edge) triggers the result...
I did one myself but it's still not true random...
Any ideas ??

Andy

Some assembly required

Google "Parks Miller Randon Number". This will be easy to implement on a S7.
Code:
int intrnd (int& seed) // 1<=seed<=m
{
#if LONG_MAX > (16807*2147483647)
int const a    = 16807;      //ie 7**5
int const m    = 2147483647; //ie 2**31-1
	seed = (long(seed * a))%m;
	return seed;
#else
double const a    = 16807;      //ie 7**5
double const m    = 2147483647; //ie 2**31-1

double temp = seed * a;
	seed = (int) (temp - m * floor ( temp / m ));
	return seed;
#endif
}

Peter, this has been discussed numerous times on this site, are you NOW saying a plc can generate random numbers?

NONE of y'all give me the brand thing.

SimonGoldsworthy said:
What do you need the random number generator for ?

I needed it for some program testing months ago... so i did one which could do the job...
but i'm still curious to know one proper random function (pseudo looking of course)
Tnx for your tips 🍻

Andy

There are no true random number generators

This algorithm is one in numerical recipes in C and it is really a pseudo random number generator PRNG. It should be obvious that that same seed will generate the same sequence of pseodu random numbers.

Peter, this has been discussed numerous times on this site, are you NOW saying a plc can generate random numbers?
Yes, at least pseudo random numbers. The algorithm was always there for anybody to find. There are many others but this is one that is recognized as being a good considering the effort it takes to make it go. Go to www.nr.com and order the book.

NONE of y'all give me the brand thing. Today 12:18 AM
I will, why not? Those PLCs that don't support 32 bit INTs or DINTs can't do this. Actually at 32x32 bit multiply and 32 bit divide can be done on a SLC but it would be extremely messy. A S7 can do this easily and efficiently. So?

just take values from actual time like ((milliseconds*(minutes+5)/(hrs+3)+17)*3) and convert to a byte, then you have a pretty random number between 0 and 255...

:)

sorry didn't realize, but I myself was looking for a random generator to found out my plc couldn't, so I made something else, but while searching I came to this site and thought I'd share .... :-(