Wonderware Guru's Please

PhilipW

Wellington, New Zealand. Islands on the edge of th
Hi...I've just been tossed unwarmed into a Wonderware job that has to be done more or less by the end of next week. Can anyone point me to a "Wonderware for Dummies" tutorial or "Getting Results Quickly" guide that I can get my head into ASAP.

Many thanks

PS The PLC is Schneider TSX Premium with Ethernet.

The setup is:

Wonderware HMI

TSX Premium Master PLC with Six Slave TSX Premium PLC's networked on Wireless Ethernet.

Programming tool is the new Modicon/Schneider "Unity".

VSD Drives are on CANOpen, but I'm the guinea pig for the the drive vendor who hasn't done this before.

And it HAS to be going by the 19th or they are threatening "liquidated damages". (This after the engineering contractors have delayed installation by 3 months!) Does this give anyone else warm fuzzies?

PSS: No this was not the system I quoted on 9 months ago, yes we won the bid, but subsequently the "consultant" unilaterally changed the spec at the end-user's request; buys the hardware and dumps it on us.(And cutting out our margin). If I back out I leave one of my best clients in a hole. Just venting ..Sighs.

Sorry I cant help you with any of the questions but when you get it finished I would be interested in your opinion of the unity software compared to the Logix 5000 software. Regards Alan Case

cci...many thanks. I stumbled around the WW site for a wee while, but I think a combination of too early in the morning and a general sense of "I didn't really want to be doing this" meant that I probably wasn't looking straight.

Alan. I've done the training course and already used it to some extent ie about 40 hours. Probably it would be wisest to stick to the policy of not saying anything unless I have something good to say about it.

However at Ver2.02 Unity is at least several major revisions short of being a serious contender against ControlLogix. I freely admit to being biased, but list of significant deficiencies in Unity is too long to be ignored...especially considering the price bracket the Quantum processors are in.

The positive aspects:

1. All five IEC languages are fully supported at all licence levels. All FB's are the same in all languages and ST (Structured Text) is available at all locations. Unity can probably boast better IEC 1161 compliance than CLX. (But not all of the TSX Premium processors support all the instructions.)

2. The ability to create Derived Data Types (UDT's) and Derived Function Blocks (DFB's) is comparable to the Siemens S7 , and a step ahead of CLX at present. However I am advised that CLX will be getting the same functionality at Ver 16 in about 7-8 months...so the advantage is not that durable.

3. All databases are handled in XML. User is able to export all or any level of the project as an XML file, down to the level of a single rung or value. This makes Unity a very open program, with much potential for higher level code automation and project configuration.

Ive developed over 100 apps in 4 different versions of wonderware, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Unfortunetly, ive never used the PLCs your using. So ill help ya where I can.

Matt

Matthias von Zorn said:
Ive developed over 100 apps in 4 different versions of wonderware, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Unfortunetly, ive never used the PLCs your using. So ill help ya where I can.

Matt

Matt,

I am still struggle with wonderware. would like to keep in touch with you i may have some questions...

like.. I have a project that needs a database, do you know how to do Intouch with SQL2005 EXpress (formally MSDE) ?

You need to create an ODBC connection to the database you are using. Then, you can create bind lists in wonderware to stamp the data in that you need. You need to use the sqlconnect and sqlinsert commands to actually do the stamping. SQLConnect connect WW to the database, and SQLInsert will update the table with the bindlist information. The help files are fairly decent in this area. You can use scripting to run the insert command as needed (start of a job, periodically, etc).

matt

See thats what i mean.. ODBC??? bindlist??? things i dont know about.
I have a sqlserverEX 2005 installed.. i got that part done..
I see it running in the task bar.

Now what ?

Look up bindlists in the wonderware help. They are basically a list that ties a database column on a table with a tag name. ODBC is set up in the administrator section of the control panel in windows under ODBC. Simply create a DSN name in the ODBC setup and point it to your database. Then the SQLConnect command is pointed to this DSN created in the ODBC. Google windows ODBC setup if you need more help.
So,

Create ODBC DSN entry in windows pointing to your database
Create bindlist in wonderware linking your column names to your tag names
In a script at some time (I usually do it in the app script) run a SQLConnect command to create a database connection to that DSN
Then, when you want to record data, run a script with an SQLInsert command with the bindlist and DB Connection. See the wonder help on these commands.

Matt

Matthias von Zorn said:
Look up bindlists in the wonderware help. They are basically a list that ties a database column on a table with a tag name. ODBC is set up in the administrator section of the control panel in windows under ODBC. Simply create a DSN name in the ODBC setup and point it to your database. Then the SQLConnect command is pointed to this DSN created in the ODBC. Google windows ODBC setup if you need more help.
So,

Create ODBC DSN entry in windows pointing to your database
Create bindlist in wonderware linking your column names to your tag names
In a script at some time (I usually do it in the app script) run a SQLConnect command to create a database connection to that DSN
Then, when you want to record data, run a script with an SQLInsert command with the bindlist and DB Connection. See the wonder help on these commands.

Matt

Well i tried several things and times i cannot figure it out..
I pretty new to WonderWare..
Here is another thing.. the dropdown security logon.. Whats the default admin login???

Not sure what you mean by drop down security login. How far did you get? Did you get the DSN created? Did you make any bind lists? Etc? I need more info to help.

Matt

ps, wonderware's default for security is administrator pw: wonderware

not sure if that helps or not

Well, its been 4 years and back into wonderware, company still hasn't provided any education or training, its basically learn it or we dont need you..

So I need a tutor or someplace i can learn how to use this.