3 Phase 120VAC to 1 Phase 230VAC

transformrs rely on turns ratio's ONLY
Be aware of the load here
you use a STEP UP transformer on one of the phases
formula = 120/230 = 1:2 or (0.5217:1) turns ratio
remember any current on the secondary side of the Transformer is multiplied by the turns ratio on the primary side.
this is Single Phase to Single Phase

but 230 v Ac might be 50 Hz not 60 as is the case with 120vac supplies
(this might effect the device if you are not aware of it)

How do i make this conversion ? shall i use a Transformer ?
Yes.

The next question is what kind of transformer. (edit: and since Ian beat me to it, he already has given the answer and some other things to think about)

Last edited:
as Jean Pierre said
I should have answered Yes

so Yes
if you want to build one
sso design it - it is your task for the day.

How do i make this conversion ? shall i use a Transformer ?
Maybe not.

How is the three phase network configured?

@iant: there's nothing wrong with confusing somebody a little bit. It might make them think, at least I hope so.

I forgot to mention
after you have built the Inverter
make sure that Microwaves will work with pulsed square wave generation

I suppose you could run a 3 phase motor generator
3 Phase 120v to 1 Phase 230v
that might work

Ian,

in the past we've used that method to generate 3-phase 400V 60hz out of 3-phase 380V 50Hz. You only have to choose the right setup.

Another option is to buy (or rent) an emergency generator set with the right specs.

Kind regards,

380 V 3 phase 50 HZ
which country uses that? China?
Belgium at that time, and almost all European countries except the UK. Single phase was 220V.

We had to construct and test machinery for the far-east market and so needed a 3-phase 400V 60Hz supply.

Nowadays we use 3-phase 415V 50Hz and 240V single phase.

Kind regards,

The voltage in India is 380/230, 50 Hz. When someone says 3 phase 120, I assume they mean 208/120.
gibson, what are you trying to do? Do you have a machine from the US you are trying to run?