LogixPro - The Learning Pit - uncooperative?

wildcatherder

I purchased TLP's LogixPro with Simulator and it is a nice little program for the price.

Unfortunately, The Learning Pit seems uncooperative when asked any question about the program.

I e-mailed a request for the default point counts, which are hardwired into the program. This seems like a reasonable request since
a) it cannot be changed by the user
b) it is an important consideration when programming
c) something the programmer should readily be able to answer.

My first response from them was
"best way to learn about LogixPro is to simply download it from my site"
which begs the question (and indicates not having read the question).

The second response when i re-iterated my question was
"I don't engage in, nor offer online PLC training.."

Is it just me or does this sound uncooperative?
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Does someone know what the maximum point counts for
digital inputs/outputs
analog inputs/outputs
for the LogixPro simulator?

Its guy with a dream that created some software for others. Along the way he felt abused with the help and kindness he gave so FREELY. He no longer wants to answer emails nor improve the program based on others feedback.

Well, thats what happen to me. Not sure about him.

"freely" is one thing

I paid for this software. It simulates a processor (among other fine features). I'm not asking for hand holding. I'm asking for a basic specification. All I got was the brush off with a "best of luck" signature.

Sorry, but your question came across as a question that an instructor might ask a student, and far too many students attempt to pass such questions on to me..

If you have a PLC in front of you, and it's wired to various switches etc.., how do you determine how many I/O points are available..

Answer = count them.

For me,,, to do so is time consuming work.. For you to do so,,, is a learning experience.

i had a specific simulation question also bill "YOUR NO HELP!" unfortunately your lengthy advice of seeking instruction from the college that offered the course ended the same, they do not support the learning pit simulations! that's what led me here???

You purchased a Simulator not a simulator with a Service/Support contract. If you want one of these then contact AB and plonk down a few thousand $/year.

Your choice!
đź““

(y) a student seeking assistance your words put my mind and my studies at ease, hopefully i can get a refund? do you have a Rockwell Automation contact?

Lost???

I too feel pretty lost. Around Sept/Oct last year I know that I definitely purchased some kind of learning package from 'The Learning Pit'. At the time I found myself faced with having to write some kind of a programme for a filling system. The only kind of programming I had ever done before was on large mainframe DCS systems, (Bailey Infi 90). I was fairly used to logic block software but it looked as if I would have to use ladder logic for this application. Years ago, (I am in my 60's), I did ladder logic work using relays, but when I went on a course for Modicon PLC's back in the 80's I discovered that nothing seemed to work the way I expected? The company I was working for at the time decided to stop doing PLC work so I never got to use or learn PLC's any more. Anyway, when I came to do the programming for last year's application, I found conveniently that I could use a Teco PLR which had function block programming. All went really well and everything worked like a dream. However, here I am a year later and I have to write some kind of a batch program probably using an AB PLC and ladder logic. I have no idea where to start or where to turn to. I certainly cannot afford any expensive tuition. I went to the software that I had paid for and downloaded from the learning pit last year, but it said that it had expired? That is really strange as I had never even used it? What am I supposed to do now with a piece of useless software that I purchased and does not now work, and where do I start with the programming. I am an instrument engineer with 39 years experience in many, many industrial control applications but now I am stuck over something that to me seems ridiculous. I could really use some help right now, but from what I am reading here I may just as well whistle into the wind?

Abandon RLL - try LabVIEW

RLL is pretty much an obsolete technology. I had to learn it in short order to work on some legacy systems. I have had thirty years in electronics engineering and two years of various kinds of programming. Don't expect anything from LogixPro - unresponsive is the exact description of their support.

I recommend LabVIEW. For about $300 you can get a USB6009 which has various inputs and outputs. It comes with SignalExpress which I find of limited usefulness. However, you can download a 30-day trial of LabView and it works with the USB6009. That should be enough to let you know, if this is the path for you.

(Don't install it and expect it to work next year :) )

Salvation

Thanks Wildcatherder, I have since been in touch with a company that supplies batch systems and they have come up with what appears to be an excellent system from a German company called Wago. There are 5 different ways of programming it and if you wanted to you could even mix and match. Anyway the function block method is very easy, so it looks as if I'll be O.K. I shant have to use the AB system after all.:p Merry Christmas.

brit the system of wago is called codesys and is even a IEC61131.
and yes a lot of manufacturers use it, like beckhoff, siemens, mitsubishi and many many others.

l am new to PLCs and SCADA. l have done a number of tutorials on PLCs but my experience with SCADA is nothing.I CAN WRITE ANY PLC program but l can not do any scada program. Does the learning pit have something that covers SCADA. Is there a demo software for SCADA even for a resonable price. Please do not tell me to go to AB

Unfortunately, The Learning Pit seems uncooperative when asked any question about the program. I e-mailed a request for the default point counts, which are hardwired into the program. Does someone know what the maximum point counts for digital inputs/outputs, and analog inputs/outputs for the LogixPro simulator?
Yes, there are two answers, depending on what your defininition is of usable I/O.

For fully-functioning digital Inputs and Outputs in LogixPro, there are 3 slots x 16 points = 48 of each. For crippled partially-functioning digital I/O, there are 16 x 8 = 128 of each. To use the crippled I/O in LogixPro, you have to force it on or off.

For analog I/O, in my LogixPro version 1.6, there are none that are fully functioning RSLogix-equivalent analog inputs or outputs. However, I:5 can be used as one partially-functioning BCD analog input, and O:6 can be used as one partially-functioning BCD analog output.

Last edited:
I had a specific simulation question. Also Bill, "YOU'RE NO HELP"! Unfortunately your lengthy advice of seeking instruction from the college that offered the course ended the same. They do not support the Learning Pit simulations! That's what led me here???
Rakii, okay, now you are here, you might as well ask your question (instead of complaining about things you can't change). I will try to answer it for you.