Connect PC to Kloeckner Moeller PS316

nickegeson

Dear forum,
Is there anyone out there with some experience from old Kloeckner Moeller PLCs?
I am in need of connect to a SUCOS PS316 and I have found out that I need the original non compiled program code which I have, the programming software ms-dos based Sucosoft S30 and a converter cable from rs232 and rs485 original from kloeckner moeller (UM 1.5-1). I have used both a new computer with VMware and windows 98 and also an old IBM computer with original win98 installed. What I found out is that you need to use 9600 baud rate, no parity, 8 bits and 1 stop bit, xon/xoff OFF.
The problem is that I do not succeed to connect. Every attempt I do I just get “DATA TRANSFER ERROR”. I have also tried different settings for baudrate and parity plus direct rs 232 cable without any luck. I made the settings both in windows and also with mode command in ms-dos. What I can see there is no possible settings to be done in the programming software more than choose correct com port.
Anyone have any experience from this old system and have an idea what I am missing and/or doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your input.

I suceeded by using com port configuration dos command mode by setting "mode com1: 9600,n,8,1,p". The "p" seemed to have been the problem which means if I understand correct "xon/xoff" on. Using windows 98 device manager to set did by some reason not work. Another problem is that I did not succeed using VMWare player with windows 98. Even if you could see some kind of communication by watching the led on the serial port adapter it would not connect with the PLC. However using the old windows 98 computer with built in serial port the communication worked directly with the setting mentioned above.

Finally I tried using Virtualbox with windows 98. I did not want to rely on the old computer so I really wanted the virtual environment on the new computer to work with the PLC. With virtualbox it worked very well to communicate with the PLC using the same parameters as above.

yes xon/xoff is flow control, so it will stop sending bits when this byte is received, RTS is hardware and Xon is software control.
Newer computers ( and these dongle types do not have hardware control. so

Moeller ps316

Hi nickegeson, hope you are still following this thread. I am in Ireland and I think I have a similar problem. What make and model of machine is your Moeller software in? Thanks