How can I monitor pulse output frequency in Omron CP1L in Data Trace?

strantor

I'm playing around with the pulse output functions of Omron CP1L and I would like to monitor the output frequency in data trace. I do not see a frequency output storage word. I can use A276/A277 to monitor the actual PV, but I want frequency. It seems strange that they show the trapezoidal speed output graphs repeatedly in the manual, but don't give you a frequency output word to verify what the manual shows. Any advice?

Thank you.

The only way that I know of is to connect the pules output to high speed counter 0 and use the PRV or PRV2 instruction to read it. Not pretty, but it works.

Yes the PRV is what I'm working with at the moment. According to the manual, it should be able to read the output freq from the output without looping it back around to the input. The way I read the manual, this should work:
PRV(881) #0000 #0013 D200

This should move the output frequency word to D200. But it doesn't seem to work. Is this what you've encountered?

Disturbing discovery?

So the high speed counter function is only available for the input (and only input 0)? WTH? I can't use this function for an output? Why then does the rest of the manual tell me that I can? :confused:o_O:mad:

high speed freq.jpg

Ok, I figured it out. The key word is high frequency. You can use PRV(881) to monitor output frequency, you just can't specify high frequency.

this works: PRV(881) #0000 #0003 D120.

Screenshot is a 50hz/4mS accel & decel to 50KHz

high speed freq2.jpg

As an interesting side note, I just realized that I'm playing with a relay output PLC. CP1L-L14DR-A. Pulse output works just fine on the software side (CX programmer doesn't care), but on the hardware side I'm pulsing a relay coil @ 50Khz. LOL @ me, LOL @ Omron. I was wondering why I kept hearing a relay click (once) when I started my ramp-up.

Hi,

I checked the forum, and actually the rest of the internet also, but I can’t find an answer to the following.

I’m programming an Omron CJ2M with an MD212 high speed I/O card. I usually do all my programming in Structured text, simply because I like it a lot over ladder or sft.

Now, if I want to read the hight speed counter (incremental encoder), I have to make a ladder section and use the PRV instruction to store the present value in a chosen location.
The manual says the current PV is stored in A271, but I can’t get a readout there. Apparently the only way to read it is through this instruction.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to the PRV instruction for Structured text? or another way perhaps?

Last edited: