servo control with Schneider Modicon

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have done various logic PLC programs, but I am just learning in the world of servo and motion controls. I have a small project here that I would like to use to learn more details of a motion control system.

I would like to use Automation Direct servo hardware because it is cheaper and just for a simple project. But I have a lot more experience with Schneider Modicon plc line.

One of my biggest glitches that I haven't fully understood yet, is what is the best way to communicate from the plc to the servo drive to tell it the next position? Is the best way with Modbus communication? Or a pulse output? I understand that servo motor must be paired with the servo drive, but I can use an independent plc, correct?