Difference of Integer and Word..

A word is always 16 bit, but the size of an integer depends on the architecture. For example, the Allen Bradley Controllogix have a single integer type which is 8 bits, a double integer type which is 32 bits long, and a regular integer type which is 16 bits long (this is little used). The concept to grasp here is that an integer is just a discrete number, the size is only important in determining how large a discrete number the memory allocated for it can hold.

No, i did not.
I rather open paper books from known authors.

Oh that is nice. Please scan some page for us that we can also learn about word size of 16 bits in all architechtures.

Yes in plc it most likely is always 16bits (i have no reason to say always as i have not seen all plc's in this world), but it does not make that it is always 16bits in context of computing in general.

TurpoUrpo, finish some automation college, it's is also a good way to learn, like I did.

Last edited:
TurpoUrpo, finish some automation college, it's is also a good way to learn, like I did.

That may be true to learn the application of the basics.
For an in-depth education, the better choice would be a university course on computer architecture as part of a computer engineering degree.

Here's what I found in my text book:

"the meaning of word depends on the particular processor. Typical word sizes are 16, 32, 64, and 128 bits, with the 32-bit word size being the most common form for ordinary computers these days, and the 64-bit word growing in popularity". Murdocca, Heuring, Principals of Computer Architecture, Prentice Hall 2000 P. 101

It sounds to me like Turpo was right on with his link to the Wikipedia article.

It depends on the processor type and Architecture.

The term WORD has different meaning depending on how it's used. It can either mean a machine word, or a type with a specific size. In x86 assembly language WORD, DOUBLEWORD (DWORD) and QUADWORD (QWORD) are used for 2, 4 and 8 byte sizes, regardless of the machine word size

A word is typically the "native" data size of the CPU. That is, on a 16-bit CPU, a word is 16 bits, on a 32-bit CPU, it's 32 and so on.
And the exception, of course, is x86, where a word is 16 bit wide (because x86 was originally a 16-bit CPU), a DWORD is 32-bit (because it became a 32-bit CPU), and a QWORD is 64-bit (because it now has 64-bit extensions bolted on)

In plc systems a word is always 16 bits that i have seen but since i have not worked with all plc systems i will not say that they are all 16 bit words.

That may be true to learn the application of the basics.
For an in-depth education, the better choice would be a university course on computer architecture as part of a computer engineering degree.

Here's what I found in my text book:

"the meaning of word depends on the particular processor. Typical word sizes are 16, 32, 64, and 128 bits, with the 32-bit word size being the most common form for ordinary computers these days, and the 64-bit word growing in popularity". Murdocca, Heuring, Principals of Computer Architecture, Prentice Hall 2000 P. 101

It sounds to me like Turpo was right on with his link to the Wikipedia article.

Thanks.

Homer did not apparently get that, when one uses wiki as reference, one usually knows what to look. Wiki is easy, fast reference. Mostly articles are right. But that is another discussion about credibility of wiki articles.

Hi Guys...
Can anyone tell me the difference between Integers and Words?
quite confuse because..
some PLC uses Integers some PLC uses word when it comes to analog input..
Thanks guys!
In general, word is a set of bits. Typically it is 16-bit long in PLC.
The word content may be or may be not interpreted as a number.
Integer is an unambiguous numerical value format, and also typically it is 16-bit long in PLC.

Last edited:
Jumbo, I also took a university corse and I am a bachelor.
But, who realy helped a begginer who asked for a help?
You, wo tells him about Abraham and Moses, or me, who told him that in THIS conference, about PLC-s, WORD IS ALWAYS 16-bit?
Pseudo-intelectual talks intended to confuse someone or intended to present someone as an 'expert', do not help anyone.