Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question

But this is something that I've always tended to get azz-backwards o_O

Most of my programing expearence - and my education for that matter have delt with equipment and hardward that labeled DC devices and/or inputs as "sinking" or "Scourceing" now as you also know alot of devices use the terminology NPN and PNP to describe their DC output or input connections - i USED to be really familar with this but its been a while since i have had to use anything labeled NPN/PNP - so was wondering if someone could quickly remind me which was which.

Man i feel like i need a coffee

Someone once told me a good way to remember PNP is to think of it as P(ositive)N(into)P(rocessor). Hopefully he wasn't azz-backwards because this is one thing i haven't forgotten.

The NPN is a Sinking device. One side of a load is attached to a positive DC voltage and the other side of the load is attached to the input (NPN)of the PLC. The PNP is just the opposite.

P(eeing) aNd P(eeing) is like Sourcing and sourcing da pee, ya see. PNP = Sourcing

While Not P(eeing) Nope, would be like not sourcing, therefore Sinking. NPN = Sinking