OPC UA Client connection detection

swedeleaner

Ohh hai!
Is there a clever way to detect if there is a UA Client connected in the UA Server.
Using iX Developer 2.40 if its of any help.

The idea was to show in the HMI (UA Server) if the SCADA-computer running Kepware (UA Client) is connected, thus showing that the 4G-link is ok.

So, any ideas?

Make SCADA write it's seconds to HMI register. If the mentioned HMI value is not changed after two seconds - SCADA connection is lost.

Verified in a United Automation OPC UA Server :

On the OPC UA Server Nodes Tree

On Objects >> Server >> ServerDiagnostics >> ServerDiagnosticsSummary >> CurrentSessionCount there is a Variable that contains the number of active client sessions

The value should be incremented if a new client connects.

Verified in a United Automation OPC UA Server :

On the OPC UA Server Nodes Tree

On Objects >> Server >> ServerDiagnostics >> ServerDiagnosticsSummary >> CurrentSessionCount there is a Variable that contains the number of active client sessions

The value should be incremented if a new client connects.

Downside is that that data isn't usually available within the server itself (unless it tries to connect to itself as a client, lol).

Downside is that that data isn't usually available within the server itself (unless it tries to connect to itself as a client, lol).

He does not only have an isolated OPC UA server but a HMI that incorporates an OPC UA server, it would make little sense that he could not access his server from the HMI

He does not only have an isolated OPC UA server but a HMI that incorporates an OPC UA server, it would make little sense that he could not access his server from the HMI

I've never used that specific product, so I can't say for sure. I just know that the HMIs I've used with built-in OPC UA Servers didn't have that information readily available in existing internal tags, it'd need to connect to itself to get the details.

Mk42, spot on. Spoke to Beijer about it and they pointed me to your solution. Adding an additional Client in the HMI and from that Client pull out the connection from the server..

Feels like a silly solution but what to do.

Thanks any way guys!

Mk42, spot on. Spoke to Beijer about it and they pointed me to your solution. Adding an additional Client in the HMI and from that Client pull out the connection from the server..

Feels like a silly solution but what to do.

Thanks any way guys!

Sorry, but the one who suggested reading the server diagnostics was me hehe.