convert pnp to npn signal for plc input

What is wrong with using a relay? You could go with solid state or an opto if you are concerned with the usual downfalls of a standard relay.

The TURCK smart plug looks pretty neat but I bet it has a higher cost that you were anticipating.

Search the site for "pull-up or pull-down" resistor, it can be done with one resistor. If a 3 wire device then just reverse the logic.

connect ur ground signal thru a resistor with 1.2K,1/2 W with ur PNP signal and pull down to npn signal.reverse the logic in ur plc

abwiz,

Sorry for the my delay. The Mrs. & I went to New Orleans for the weekend and she wouldn't let me take along my brain, I mean Laptop. The price on these Smart Plugs from TURCK is $48 and they have well over 50 in stock of each type. That maybe a little steep, but as always in this industry that we are in, everything is negotiable.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Signal Inverter

I have used the Phoenix Contact DEK-TR/INV for many applications where invertering signals. Converts PNP to NPN and vice versa.

See attachment

I generally simply use a pull up resistor and invert the state in the PLC.

If you want more sophistication use an opto isolator chip. A simple 6 legged I.C. If you want to you can mount it in a plastic enclosure available from most terminal suppliers. Even add a LED
to indicate status.

I used one of the turck sensors npn to pnp sensors today. We ran completely out of pnp sensor that we use on the line. We had several npn sensors on the shelve they had all the rest of the same specs. I agree with you about the convertor is a little on the high side$ . The way i see it that putting a inline quick connector is alot faster then installing a relay to flip the state. I would much rather get complains about spending money vs complain about downtime anyday. I alway keep 1 of each on the shelve (npn to pnp) or (pnp to npn) We have alot of different equipment(us,european,australia,etc). You really never know what kind of sensor you will run into.