Unable to interface with 1769-AENTR from CompactLogix Controller

nr2002

Hello,
I've found similar threads on interfacing with ethernet adapters, but none have quite answered my question..

I have a 1769-L33ER controller that I want to talk to a 1769-AENTR (with two compact I/O modules attached). Both run on PA4s. I have set the IP address of the ethernet adapter for local communication between it and the L33ER. I can see it in RSLinx, and can add it to my Studio 5000 project. However, when I attempt to go into run mode, I get a major fault (Type 03 I/O Fault, Code 23 At least one required connection not established before going into RUN mode).

I am able to disable the fault if I uncheck "major fault on controller if connection fails in run mode" for each module, but I am still not able to talk to the ethernet adapter or its modules.

Forgive me for being extremely new at this, I'm just not sure what I'm missing. I've updated the firmware on the AENTR, so I know it's operational. My L33ER+PA4 does not have an end cap, but I've used it without one before for testing. Any advice?

Thanks for responding! I am using V24 of Studio 5000. I installed the Add On profile, and it said "all add on profiles are up to date". I am able to add 1769-AENTR to the project, and I updated its firmware. I forgot to mention another error I get when going online, 16#0203, connection time out. It seems like this should be very straightforward but I can't figure out why I'm getting these errors.

Is this a new system you are setting up? Or was it working before?

If new, you must go to the properties of the AENTR, go to the far right tab and set the chassis size to what it is in real life.

Can you describe the modules that are on the AENTR? Part numbers and quantities?

It is a new system. I went to the 'General' tab in the AENTR module properties, is this what you're referring to? There is a section called "Module Definition", where I changed the chassis size to match my modules. The minimum it can go is 3 modules, so I need to hook up an extra one to match that. Currently the AENTR has a 1769-OB32, 1769-IF16V, and will have 1769-OF8C, in that order. I could see those modules in RSLinx before.

I am going through now and checking silly things like potentially bad ethernet cable, making sure the power supplies are properly connected. The manuals for the L33ER and AENTR describe how to set the IP address on the module (I used the rotary switches), and how to add the module to the project (AENTR+modules have been added to the ethernet bus on the controller organizer).

It is a new system. I went to the 'General' tab in the AENTR module properties, is this what you're referring to? There is a section called "Module Definition", where I changed the chassis size to match my modules. The minimum it can go is 3 modules, so I need to hook up an extra one to match that. Currently the AENTR has a 1769-OB32, 1769-IF16V, and will have 1769-OF8C, in that order. I could see those modules in RSLinx before.

I am going through now and checking silly things like potentially bad ethernet cable, making sure the power supplies are properly connected. The manuals for the L33ER and AENTR describe how to set the IP address on the module (I used the rotary switches), and how to add the module to the project (AENTR+modules have been added to the ethernet bus on the controller organizer).

Oh man, sorry for the confusion, I mistook the module we were talking about. I mistook it for 1734-AENTR (Point I/O) rather than the 1769-AENTR that it actually is. Please ignore my previous post.

Check for bad Ethernet cable.
Ensure your connection to the module is as per the PLC IO tree.
We had an incident which give somewhat similar error - there was 2 Ethernet switches used and the cable was connected to the wrong switch [the switches were not interconnected]

Alright, after throwing the kitchen sink at it and following the instructions according to the manual, it turned out to be very simple and not at all as the manual described.

Ethernet cable checked out just fine, as a bonus I learned it works with a crossover cable or straight-thru cable.

I reset the AENTR to factory settings, which enables the DHCP. However! The manual tells you to go to the BootP/DHCP tool, which did nothing for me. Instead, I was able to see the module in RSLinx, go to the module properties, and set the IP address/subnet that way. Another bonus fact, apparently different versions of RSLinx offer different options in the properties menu. It was an older version of RSLinx that allowed me to set a static IP address. Then I power-cycled the module, and voila. My static IP address stuck, it is on the same subnet as my controller module, and I can talk to the modules through Studio 5000.

Thanks for your time. It's unfortunate the Rockwell Automation documentation is scattered in 5 different manuals, or at least that's everything I consulted to try to get this working. Hopefully they can consolidate and streamline that information, because nowhere did it specify the steps I actually used to get this working!