1969-AENTR 1769-IT6 Module Configuration Rejected

lam2363

All,

I am having an odd parameter issue with an IT6 module that I cant figure out.

My set up: L33ER, OB16, OA16, IQ16, IQ16, PB4, IT6, IF8 on the base PLC in one cabinet.

In another cabinet I have: AENTR, IA16, OB16, IT6, HSC, P4B, IF8.

My issue is with the IT6 module on the same rack with the AENTR. Every so often (seemingly random) the IT6 module will fault, the fault being, "(Code 16#0009) Module Configuration Rejected: Parameter Error. Additional Fault Code 16#0401". It has never gone more than a day or two without faulting and sometimes it has run as little as 2 or 3 hours be fore going tango uniform.

I am not actively changing any parameters the PLC when it happens. I have at least 4 other PLCs in the plant with IT6's on including one in this current setup that have not experienced this issue. I've tried Engineering 1x, Engineering 10x, and Raw/Proportional Data Formats for it with the same results. To my knowledge I have set this card up the same way I have done all the others. The machine has been up and running for about a 2 weeks now. Anyone out there have any experience with this issue that can shed some light on the problem?

My solution right now is to wait until they are finished running for the day and cycle power to clear the faulted module. A side question I have is is there any way to clear a faulted module without power cycling? The "Clear faults" option is grayed out when i try it.

Thanks in Advance,

Luke

It may not help you a huge amount,but have you read the help file information on the fault code? See below.

This one is specifically relevant to 1756 Control Logix modules, so I couldn't find anything about the additional fault code, but it might give you a heads up somehow.

It is possible a SSV or something in the ladder logic is writing changes to the module?

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 9.25.39 am.jpg

Also, if you have a TechConnect contract, check out this technote. It's to do with the 1769-HSC, not the IT6, but it might point you in the right direction

And one more thought - how many modules are between this analog card and the rack power supply, and what type of power supply is it? Check out this document, particularly the notes about power supply distance rating and the note about AC power supplies on page 18.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have tech connect contract so I cant look at that article but thanks for posting it all the same.

The AENTR portion of the PLC is in a 2300 volt reduced voltage starter cabinet for a 300/600HP motor. The thermocouple is measuring the temperature on the Autotransformer. I have been looking at the program and configuration of the card. Nowhere in the program are the parameters being changed by the controller at any point. This is the only thermocouple channel on the card all other channels have been disabled. The local tag from the AOP that is being used is the "I:Ch0Data" in a mov instruction to another tag.

I looked at the page in the IT6 manual that talks about spacing from AC power, we are using a dc power supply (P4B) and the closed ac module is two DC inputs away.

My question now is what conditions must be met for this fault code to show up?

Thanks,

Luke

I can't copy and paste the technote directly, but the general gist of it is that you can get that error if one of the module configuration bits that are "not used" are set to 1.

Even if they're not addressed in the code, if they've been set to 1, there's nothing to set them back to zero, so they will remain on. Maybe expand out the whole data structure and see if there's a "1" hiding somewhere there shouldn't be.

Also, if you haven't already, do a cross reference for the entire card (Local:3 or whatever slot you're in) just in case there's something hiding somewhere else.

The reason I'm particularly suspicious of this is that the technote mentions that the only way of clearing the fault is to power cycle the module, or inhibit/uninihibit it - which is what you're seeing as well.

we are using a dc power supply (P4B) and the closed ac module is two DC inputs away.
Can you clarify this? Not sure I understand what you're saying there. And, how many card between your 1769-PB4 and your 1769-IT6? And are your end caps in place correctly?

It's also possible you simply have a bad module. But I hate just changing things out to see if the problem goes away without actually being able to prove it, feels like cheating ;)

All the replies about a "bad configuration" don't explain why the module accepts the configuration, works with it for a few hours, and then randomly "rejects" the configuration.

The configuration tag is only downloaded to the module once, and once only, and is initiated by the connection between the owner-controller and the module becoming disconnected. If this happens after a period of successful connection, it indicates to me that it is electrical noise.

But you could have a bad module... so firstly I would swap out the IT6 module with another. If you don't have a spare, wait for the opportunity to swap with another IT6 working fine on another plant. If the problem moves with the module, then you have a bad module.

With IT6's swapped, if you still have the problem in the same panel, then check for installation issues, like proper grounding, proximity to high current devices, loose wiring terminals etc. Blow out the modules in case panel-builder swarf has entered the module. Re-seat all the "backplane" connectors. et.etc.

Troubleshooting intermittent problems like you have can be a P I T A to track down, but you can get a lot of information by trying to move the fault by swapping modules.

P4B should read PB4 as in 1769-PB4 there was the suggestion that the ac power supply maybe causing some noise issues, however we are using a DC power supply not an AC supply.

I looked through all of the configuration bits and all the ones for the other 5 channels on the module are all set to zero.

I will try moving modules around I have a spare module that I can try. It will be a few days before I can swap modules.