PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A

PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/index.php)
-   LIVE PLC Questions And Answers (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fanuc robot with a Quickpanel HMI (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=57917)

Robodude September 9th, 2010 03:55 PM

Fanuc robot with a Quickpanel HMI

I have a Fanuc R-30iA robot controller. I am using a GE quick panel for a HMI / operators panel. How do I define the robot I/O I would like to read and write in the quick panel. It seems like you define the signals as variables in the quickpanel. To start simple, I would like to put a program start and program stop button on the screen that would turn green based on if the program is running or not. It seems like you would use color animation for this and declare a input as a variable. Is this correct and how do you tie the variable to the robot IO?

Mtech September 9th, 2010 04:06 PM

What type of plc are you using to communicate between robot controller and quick panel. Have you ready configured robot UOP setting?

Robodude September 9th, 2010 04:11 PM

I am hooking the GE quickpanel directly to the robot via ethernet. I am not using a plc. I have not configured UOP yet. Will this set the IO up to be read by the quickpanel?

Mtech September 9th, 2010 04:23 PM

Never seen a additional HMI connected this way. How would,never mind. I guess if there is a will there is a way. I will have to research this as well. Do you have manuals and fanuc tech support?

Steve Bailey September 9th, 2010 04:56 PM

What communications protocol does the robot use? Is it among the selections available to you in the Quick Panel's list of PLC access drivers or OPC drivers?

Robodude September 9th, 2010 05:02 PM

The robot is set up with SNPX or SRTP. I do not have the quick panel hardware yet. I have the proficy software I am starting to program the HMI with. I will have the robot and the GE quick panel in 2 to 3 weeks.

Robodude September 9th, 2010 05:03 PM

I have a manual on the robot and quick panel unit. I do not have the robot yet so I don't have a F# for fanuc support.

RussB September 10th, 2010 08:21 AM

I never met a Robot who talked SNPx or SRTP, all that I have seen are setup for EGD (Ethernet Global Data) or Genius (GE Proprietary highs peed Serial). At least it is simple to change the QP's variables from one protocol to another so any development is not lost.

edpg1 November 5th, 2012 02:40 PM

I know this thread is two years old.

I am attempting to duplicate this situation of using a Quickpanel View with an R-30iA.

How do I get the variables from the Quickpanel to manipulate I/O on the Fanuc robot via Ethernet. What protocol do I need to use for this to work properly.

RussB November 5th, 2012 03:07 PM

Did you read the old posts?
What Ethernet Protocol(s) are on the Robot that match what is in the QP View?
Look in the "PLC Access Driver" area under "View OPC Drivers" to find what is available on the HMI. I recommend staying away from the "Native" drivers.

Robodude November 5th, 2012 03:23 PM

I have hooked up a GE quickpanel to the R30iA controller a couple of years ago. The option in the robot you need is SNPX / HMI ConnectionYou will then be able to communicate with the quickpanel via ethernet. Do you have the GE proficy software to build your interface on the quickpanel?

edpg1 November 5th, 2012 03:37 PM

It also doesn't help that I don't really know the Fanuc robots either.

Is there a way to check what options are installed?

And yes I have the software, Version 7.0.

Robodude November 5th, 2012 03:48 PM

If you do a controlled start and select s/w install, you can see what options you have loaded into your controller.

RussB November 5th, 2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robodude (Post 510257)
I have hooked up a GE quickpanel to the R30iA controller a couple of years ago. The option in the robot you need is SNPX / HMI ConnectionYou will then be able to communicate with the quickpanel via ethernet. Do you have the GE proficy software to build your interface on the quickpanel?

SNPX in the GEIP world is a serial protocol, not Ethernet.

edpg1 November 6th, 2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 510327)
SNPX in the GEIP world is a serial protocol, not Ethernet.

I agree, I don't see any ethernet options for this protocol.

I do have the options installed, but what protocol do I use to communicate between the two?