Inductive University - Ignition

One of the things that I really liked about how IA does tech support is the heavy use of "Go To Meeting" that allows them to interact directly with your project so they can show you while they talk. And if you stump them they huddle and work a solution. I was also impressed how fast they were out with a patch after the recent release when we discovered a problem with accessing certain kinds of data on MicroLoigx PLCs.

That is because you get hold of a tech who knows the product and is not reading from a script.

Unfortunately I had to leave Thursday. I had no idea of the 1 on 1 and would have stayed the extra day if I had known.

I have a large install with 7 PLCs 80,000 tags and 10 clients all on a VM. There are performance issues

Setup is tricky and could have taken advantage of a 1 on 1.

I briefly talked to Travis about this, and he stated a document for VM Bench mark is about 1 month away.

What sort of performance issues? Travis gave me some insight on how to review some things for tag performance. I'm working on an application with 2 PLCs, 100,000 tags. This is a ControlLogix/CompactLogix.

I've already increased the memory to Ignition to 4 GB, and for the ControlLogix EN2T have upped it to 12 concurrent connections. My tags are all on the same 1 second scan class, and take only about ~180ms. I'm suing their v20 driver. Using the "direct" not "leased" mode. Leased gave me problems.

What sort of performance issues? Travis gave me some insight on how to review some things for tag performance. I'm working on an application with 2 PLCs, 100,000 tags. This is a ControlLogix/CompactLogix.

I've already increased the memory to Ignition to 4 GB, and for the ControlLogix EN2T have upped it to 12 concurrent connections. My tags are all on the same 1 second scan class, and take only about ~180ms. I'm suing their v20 driver. Using the "direct" not "leased" mode. Leased gave me problems.

This particular install is all Compactlogix L35e. CPU usage on the gateway is 20-30% but spikes to 100% whenever the Mobile module is launched.
I am looking at breaking up the install into several VMs

1 for gateway service
1 for MySQL database server
1 for OPC-UA server

This particular install is all Compactlogix L35e. CPU usage on the gateway is 20-30% but spikes to 100% whenever the Mobile module is launched.
I am looking at breaking up the install into several VMs

1 for gateway service
1 for MySQL database server
1 for OPC-UA server

what are the specs on your VM?

If you launch a client on the VM, do you see the same cpu spike as you do when launching a mobile client?

what are the specs on your VM?

If you launch a client on the VM, do you see the same cpu spike as you do when launching a mobile client?

This is not my hardware, so I don't have that answer.

What I did learn about the mobile module through the Inductive University, since mobile devices cannot run Java, the mobile session actually runs on the gateway and the mobile client connects to that. So, the more mobile clients , the more resources used up on the Gateway.

Love what I have seen so far as well from Ignition. I have purchased a copy and just need some time to get used to it. I could use a trip to their training course as well unfortunately I'm just to swamped at the moment fixing stuff to be able to go.

Love what I have seen so far as well from Ignition. I have purchased a copy and just need some time to get used to it. I could use a trip to their training course as well unfortunately I'm just to swamped at the moment fixing stuff to be able to go.

This is where the Inductive University is helpful. It is free to join and all of the resources are short 2 - 4 minute video clips.

You can even take the challenges ( tests ) and become certified at your own pace.

What you learn is equivalent to taking the 5 day basic training course.
These videos are far better than the documentation. The only negative I can say about Inductive is the manuals, they suck. States more than explains. Last year they hired a technical writer to improve the manual, but I don't think that went anywhere.

If you do go for training, fly to San Francisco and drive to Folsom. Its about 2 - 3 hour drive depending on the bridge traffic.

Rent a convertible, driving in CA with top down is an experience.

This is not my hardware, so I don't have that answer.

What I did learn about the mobile module through the Inductive University, since mobile devices cannot run Java, the mobile session actually runs on the gateway and the mobile client connects to that. So, the more mobile clients , the more resources used up on the Gateway.

oh ok. the hardware is a very important piece obviously.

Yes mobile module is basically just a vnc connection between the client on the gateway and the phone. Thats why I asked if you see the same spike in CPU usage if a client is launched on the gateway pc.

I will say that the one thing I wish Inductive would improve is the mobile module. It may have gotten better since I last used it but it was pretty much unuseable when it first came out. we ended up writing our own and have the ignition webserver host it for us.

This is where the Inductive University is helpful. It is free to join and all of the resources are short 2 - 4 minute video clips.

You can even take the challenges ( tests ) and become certified at your own pace.

What you learn is equivalent to taking the 5 day basic training course.
These videos are far better than the documentation. The only negative I can say about Inductive is the manuals, they suck. States more than explains. Last year they hired a technical writer to improve the manual, but I don't think that went anywhere.

If you do go for training, fly to San Francisco and drive to Folsom. Its about 2 - 3 hour drive depending on the bridge traffic.

Rent a convertible, driving in CA with top down is an experience.

I will definetly check out the videos. The project I am planning on using it for is for some data collection so it's not mission critical and I'm too busy fighting fires right now to do anything with it. Want a job lol?

As far as the course I actually wouldn't mind going sometime during the winter. You are from Canada so you know why. :) I'm in Saskatchewan and it gets a heck of a lot colder here than it does in Toronto.

free_learning.gif

Damn I wish I knew who you guys were at ICC, I could have spoke with you and not even knew your forum handles. Did you guys know who everyone was at ICC in regards to your forum handles?

Also, if you need a hand with some scaling issues, feel free to reach out to me, and I might be able to provide some assistance.

free_learning.gif

Damn I wish I knew who you guys were at ICC, I could have spoke with you and not even knew your forum handles. Did you guys know who everyone was at ICC in regards to your forum handles?

Also, if you need a hand with some scaling issues, feel free to reach out to me, and I might be able to provide some assistance.

During the web sign up there was an opportunity to enter your Ignition forum username. My badge had Curlyandshemp.

Next year let's set up a Canada House table.

And that is a problem ?

I have learned from experience that being hung over for a week is not conducive
to learning. Peter Natcheways RMC course from Delta comes to mind although I will say that I learned more there than any other course I have ever been to.