PLC EGD Comms Fault

Chris IWO

Hi All,

We have a 4X Rx3i PLCs that use Ethernet Global Data (EGD) to talk to each other.

At the moment we a facing EDG communication fault being generated and it trips the entire pumps

What the likely causes of EDG faults:

We have replaced PLC Ethernet Interface Modules-no fix
We have tested the fiber optic cable-the readings show its OK

Also,can someone explain what PLC heartbeat is?

Thank you
Chris
Ok Tedi-PNG

Hi Chris,

Did you add signals to (one of) the EGD pages ?
Do you have problems with 1, or all your pages.

There can be a problem with EGD page revision, i do not know for shure if RX3 uses page revision check.

gr.
John.

How are you using EGD?

If your system is shut down with a short disruption of data communications you may want to re-evaluate the way it is configured and used.

First verify that ALL RX3i hardware is at the highest possible firmware level and that you are using PME 8.6 or 9.0 at its highest SIM level. Then do the same for all Ethernet devices of other manufactures on the network and make sure that ALL are properly configured and not 'broadcasting' unnecessarily.

In an EGD system, a device is either a data Producer or a data Consumer. Data transmissions are referred to as exchanges.

• A Producer generates data exchanges and sends them to one or more other devices on the network.
  • A Consumer reads data exchanges that are sent from other devices.
A device can be either a producer or a consumer, but typically acts as both. Unlike polling or request-based communication protocols, producers can send data to more than one consumer at one time. EGD works in these ways:

• The data is transmitted once to one device (unicast), many devices on a local subnet (multicast), or all devices on a local subnet (broadcast). Consumers configured to expect those exchanges attempt to read the data; other devices on the same network or subnet ignore it.
  • Exchanges are unsolicited and unacknowledged. That is, consumers do not explicitly send data requests to a producer and do not send an acknowledgment when an exchange is read. This allows data exchanges to be sent at much shorter intervals. The intervals (periods) at which specific exchanges are produced and consumed are configured on the devices themselves.
In the GE EGD driver, each exchange has an ID and a specified length in bytes. Consumers are configured to read only data exchanges with specified IDs; other data exchanges are ignored. Because exchanges are individually configured on each device, you must ensure that the length of a consumed exchange on a consumer corresponds with the length of the produced exchange with the same ID on the producer.
EGD is designed for large blocks of data sent among many devices. For example, if data from a PLC is needed by 50 others on the network, only one data transmission is needed, not 50. EGD may not be suitable for situations where PLC data is polled or requested at irregular intervals.
EGD faults may be caused by lots of things, most often by problem with the Ethernet cabling, switches, high traffic or devices sending 'broadcast' messages at a fast pace.

A 'heartbeat' is a variable set at one end of communications and reset by the other end. Then monitored by one or both ends to verify that it is turning on & off at a predetermined rate, verifying communications.

Last edited:
If your system is shut down with a short disruption of data communications you may want to re-evaluate the way it is configured and used.

First verify that ALL RX3i hardware is at the highest possible firmware level and that you are using PME 8.6 or 9.0 at its highest SIM level. Then do the same for all Ethernet devices of other manufactures on the network and make sure that ALL are properly configured and not 'broadcasting' unnecessarily.

EGD faults may be caused by lots of things, most often by problem with the Ethernet cabling, switches, high traffic or devices sending 'broadcast' messages at a fast pace.

A 'heartbeat' is a variable set at one end of communications and reset by the other end. Then monitored by one or both ends to verify that it is turning on & off at a predetermined rate, verifying communications.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thank RussB