1756-L81E can’t upload & previously bricked

nsj00001

I have now had two 1756-L81E processors that are unable to go online with. The first one bricked and needed to be replaced. I have a second one doing it now but it hasn’t bricked yet.

Anyone else run into this issue? We have a Rockwell tech connect but they haven’t seen this issue. Now we have seen it two twice in the 30 or so L81E’s we have deployed.

What firmware version are you running? Does having the controller in RUN or PROGRAM make any difference?

How did you determine it was “bricked”?

In my experiences it’s extremely rare to have a processor brick.

What is happening when trying to upload?

Do you get any scrolling messages? Any power indicators at all? Did both of these go in the same rack with the same power supply?

Last edited:
Q. How can the controller be reset?

A. The controller can be reset with the reset button. The reset button is above the key switch, behind the door, on the front of the controller. To open the door, first take the key out of the controller. The door hinge is on the left side of the controller.

The controller has two stages of reset:

A Stage 1 reset clears the application program and memory, but retains the IP address and all network settings. A Stage 1 reset occurs only if the controller contains a user application.
A Stage 2 reset returns the controller to out-of box settings (including firmware), and clears all network settings. A Stage 2 reset occurs only if the controller firmware is not a 1.x version.
For more information about how to perform Stage 1 and Stage 2 resets, see ControlLogix 5580 and GuardLogix 5580 Controllers Publication 1756-UM543.

Did you try this?

Not OP but I work with him-

We are running version 30 or version 32 - An interesting note is that I have been able to successfully flash the firmware between versions. Thats where the issue came up- because the firmware flash wiped out the program i was trying to download the project to the controller and it would stop at "Downloading all Data Types" or something to that effect (cant find the dump file).

I preformed both a level 1 and level 2 reset per the procedure here (https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/766058) Both times it did what it was supposed to do, and both times it accepted the firmware flash to 32.012 (I tried 32.011 as well) but even on a essentially blank program it would error out right at the end the same way as it did on site.