need to learn c based programming for crimson red lion

JBooth

I am working on learning more about programming, and am having to try and teach what i know to new hires in our maintenance department. In order to do so i have been making some labs for some of the equipment we have around our plant. I am using a crimson red lion to simulate a number of the labs that use more than a handful of inputs or outputs. Unfortunately, a number of the things i would like to or need to do require complex code to function properly. Is there any where i can acquire a fairly simple syntax list or programming guide?

Take some time to read the "Using Programs" section of the Crimson 3 User Manual, starting on about Page 212.

The syntax and structure are similar enough to ANSI C that I bought a copy of the classic Kernighan & Ritchie 'The C Programming Language' to use as my syntax reference.

One of the weaknesses of the Red Lion products, in my opinion, is their lack of a good programming guide or program cookbook for the C-like language programs. Red Lion users tend to be friendly sorts, and a community library would be very useful but they just don't have it.

Quite a few examples exist on Red Lion's website, even though many of them were written for Crimson 2 and need to be updated. And there are some good Red Lion programmers represented here.

There are actually some pretty good tutorials on YouTube on C programming. I am doing the same thing and have done some of them. You might want to check it out.

This isn't really "how do I learn the functions in the Red Lion C-like language" but rather a plug for two educational resources.

If you come to the automation business from a chemical or mechanical or purely electrical background, you might not think like a classically trained programmer does.

Harvard's freshman-level Introduction to Computer Science class is what I wish I'd taken years ago:

http://cs50.tv/2014/fall/

And while "search YouTube" is a legitimate way to find educational courses, I can recommend a very good aggregator of technical education videos and tutorials:

https://www.thenewboston.com/

If you can ignore the forum threads titled "plsss help ineed it", there are some very good tutorials linked to from that site.

I i am posting to this board first time with a request for some help with an industrial HMI (touchscreen) that interfaces with a programmable computer. My specific request is for someone to help me with retrieving values that are stored to a CompactFlash card. I am able to store values (we call them recipes) to the CompactFlash card as .csv file. I just haven't been able to figure out the code to retrieve this information back to the touchscreen.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

I presume that your question relates to a Red Lion product. This specific thread is years old and is more general, so it would be best for you to create a new thread.

Start at the main "PLCTalk Q&A" page: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/forumdisplay.php?f=2

And click on the green "Start a New Thread" button above the forum thread summary table.

Include information about the touchscreen device that you have, including specifics about the maker, model, and type of software it is running.