Sensor Selection

makr8100

I am looking for a sensor that is PNP 24V that can sense distance up to 2m, and have had the best luck with lasers. We only need a digital out so instead of dropping a thousand on Keyence LR-T sensors each time production breaks them does anyone know of a sensor with configurable distance and digital out? Unfortunately we need to read white on white, so that rules out the standard photo eyes. We've attempted beams and reflectors but of course with 2 parts to each of those options they break twice as often.

You might have better luck if you describe the situation better. Ultrasonic or Time of Flight sensors are good for single ended operations.

We're trying to count pizza crusts go by on a conveyor. Near white crusts on a white conveyor with a bleach white UHMW track on the opposite edge. We've successfully used reflector-type sensors but the reflectors keep getting ripped out by production and/or sanitation.

We considered Keyence LV-N (have had success with them in other areas) but QA didn't like the idea of multiple wires in that location. We went with an LR-TB5000 (could have settled for a LR-TB2000 and saved a few bucks) which worked great for about a month until it too was damaged. Someone removed it (why? no clue...) and broke a pin off.
The powers that be like the LR-T but apparently don't want to be dropping $1000+ every time we have to replace one.

You might want to look at Banner U-GAGE T30 series ultrasonic sensors. We've used them for tank level - decent and, I think, relatively cheap. Their one problem for us is they are not well sealed against washdown but we still use them here and there.

Sometimes the mounting is more important than the choice of sensor...especially when hose monkeys...er I mean sanitation associates are involved.

Maybe you can recess a reflector in the UHMW side rail. And build a heavy duty stainless steel guard around the sensor.

What sort of response time is going to be required?

Banner Q4 series might help - you'll have to check the available models for distances. They can do a distance/contrast blend for detection and way more affordable compared to the Keyence equivalents.

Buy a used instead of brand new Keyence LR-tb2000c sensors for cheaper price, those work great and last a long while. Super-low maintenance and easy to program. You could probably buy one off e-bay for $300-400.

Automation direct has one for $350 that checks up to 10m called the OPT2014, check them out also.

ifm effector has sensors that will do what you need and are decently priced, depending on the nature of the surface you are hitting ,laser would prob be best. dig out or 4-20. configurable

o5d-feat.jpg

Last edited: