Micrologix 1400 Fault 0052H

caleno

Hi, I was trying to test an encoder, using the HSC, but I got this message as soon as I downloaded the code into the Micrologix 1400 Series B.
Code Hex: 0052H, "A module required for the user program is detected as missing or removed. This error is recoverable."
I powered off the PLC and now I am not able to communicate with it. How can I clear or reset this fault?
I did some searching, but I could not find a solution for it.

Thank you in advance!

Most likely, your user program has an I/O module defined that is not physically connected to the PLC. That will cause the fault you describe.

As to why you can no longer communicate with it, it's possible that the program you downloaded contained modified comm port settings, which only took effect after a power cycle. So you will need to check the comm port settings that relate to the port you're trying to connect with, and make sure that your laptop is using compatible settings.

You will probably get some more specific/helpful information if you can tell us how you're trying to connect to the PLC - from cables, to ports, to RSLinx drivers, to address settings, and so on.

Most likely, your user program has an I/O module defined that is not physically connected to the PLC. That will cause the fault you describe.

As to why you can no longer communicate with it, it's possible that the program you downloaded contained modified comm port settings, which only took effect after a power cycle. So you will need to check the comm port settings that relate to the port you're trying to connect with, and make sure that your laptop is using compatible settings.

You will probably get some more specific/helpful information if you can tell us how you're trying to connect to the PLC - from cables, to ports, to RSLinx drivers, to address settings, and so on.

Hi Thanks so much for replying to quickly. This is for a project and I am having trouble with this. You are right, I have had added 2 modules, which I do not have physically right now. So I deleted them from the I/O configuration menu. How can I fix this, if I still do not have the I/O modules?

Thank you so much!

If you delete them from the configuration, that should stop the PLC from faulting. In Logix 5000, you can leave the modules in the configuration and just inhibit them, but I don't believe that this is possible in Logix 500. Note that this may cause some of your logic to fail compilation, as the I/O addresses no longer exist. You may have to modify your logic to use "placeholder" addresses until you can obtain the hardware.

Once your program has compiled successfully without the missing I/O modules, you will just need to resolve your communication issues and download the program the PLC.

ASF, done. I did as you said and the fault went away! Thank you so much! Now my problem is the communications... it looks fine on RSLinx, meaning no communication errors shown. But in RSLogix 500, the PLC is crossed out with a red X on the Communications window. I have closed and open RSLogix 500 several times already and still the same result. I will reboot the PC. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi I rebooted my PC and got communication established again with the PLC. I downloaded the code which is just a MOV instruction that is receiving an input count from an encoder. When I tried to get the PLC to run I got this message:
Major Error S:6 = 52h.
The base minimum series selected in the user program configuration was greater than the series on the actual base. Non-user error.
The recommended solution is: Correct the base type, or Reconfigure the program to match the attached base.

Where do I correct these recommended solutions?

Thank you

The base minimum series selected in the user program configuration was greater than the series on the actual base. Non-user error.
The recommended solution is: Correct the base type, or Reconfigure the program to match the attached base.

Where do I correct these recommended solutions?

Thank you

Double click on I/O configuration, then double click the controller. See picture

selectbase.PNG

Last edited:
In Logix 5000, you can leave the modules in the configuration and just inhibit them, but I don't believe that this is possible in Logix 500. .

Just to add..

You can inhibit the modules on a Micro 1400
The A-B technote 20291 explains how to do it, by "Ignore Configuration Error" checkbox when selecting I/O.

TN_20291_img02.PNG

Thank you Ian! I appreciate it.

Does anyone know if there is a full version of RSLogix for free?
I am trying to program this ML 1400, but i am still having issues with communication. I am using version 8.3, maybe a later version would ease things a bit.
Thank you,

The free versions of RSLogix 500 can only program the Micrologix 1000 and Micrologix 1100 PLC's. You need a paid version for the Micrologix 1400.

If you're having intermittent communication issues, it's highly unlikely to be version related. Post as many details as you can about your connection method, including physical ports on both laptop and PLC, any cables and adaptors, RSLinx drivers (ideally screenshots of all configuration screens) and PLC port settings (ditto). With that laid out we've got half a chance of giving you some useful information - otherwise we're just sitting here without so much as a hint as to whether you're trying for a direct connection via ethernet, a serial connection via USB-serial adaptor, or a combination of voodoo, black magic, and duct tape.

Ah! I've learned my new thing for the day! Thanks Ian.

Thank you Ian! I appreciate it.

Glad to be able to help 🍻

I am trying to program this ML 1400, but i am still having issues with communication. I am using version 8.3, maybe a later version would ease things a bit.

I am not that clever, I just like to find stuff on the A-B Knowledge base.

Technote 59519 states that the minimum requirement for a ML 1400 series B is version 8.3 - maybe a later version might help:confused:

It is an easy download if you have a Tech Connect Support Contract

59519 | Date Created: 03/13/2009 | Last Updated: 01/11/2018
Access Level: Everyone
Question

• What version of RSLogix 500 do I need for MicroLogix 1400?
  • What version of RSLinx Classic do I need for MicroLogix 1400?
Environment

• RSLogix 500
  • RSLinx Classic
  • MicroLogix 1400
Answer

For MicroLogix 1400 Series A:

• RSLogix 500 version 8.1 or later
  • RSLinx Classic version 2.54
For MicroLogix 1400 Series B:

• RSLogix 500 version 8.3 or later
  • RSLinx Classic version 2.54

Caution - Error Detected...

This previous thread reiterates most to all of what has been described so far in relation to which software version is required, how to inhibit non present I/O modules, setting the base type and also more info on error 0052h...

ML1400 Series B change to series A in RSLogix500

Have you noted in my info specifically what error 0052h means on a MicroLogix 1400? (What do you mean you didn't read it? Well now your going to have to!)

caleno said:
Micrologix 1400 Fault 0052H

Hi, I was trying to test an encoder, using the HSC, but I got this message as soon as I downloaded the code into the Micrologix 1400 Series B.
Code Hex: 0052H, "A module required for the user program is detected as missing or removed. This error is recoverable."

ASF said:
Most likely, your user program has an I/O module defined that is not physically connected to the PLC. That will cause the fault you describe...

The 0052h error described above, which you say was your first error, is specifically for an SLC processor. Error 0052h in a MicroLogix 1400 is quite different, but you already know this...

Why? Because later you described your second error...

=caleno said:
...When I tried to get the PLC to run I got this message:
Major Error S:6 = 52h.
The base minimum series selected in the user program configuration was greater than the series on the actual base. Non-user error...

...where you say that it was also error "52h" but now with the correct description, as I know it. There is no error code, of any number, that I know of, for a MicroLogix, which is described as "A module required for the user program is detected as missing or removed". Again, this is specific to the SLC processors, to the best of my knowledge. There are certain error codes for the MicroLogix which are related to the I/O Configuration and modules being missing or incorrectly defined, but they are not error 0052h...

MicroLogix complete Error Code List...

450490 - MicroLogix Major Error Codes
Access Level: Everyone

SLC specific Error Code 0052h...

476455 - SLC Major Fault Code xx52h (xx slot number)
Access Level: TechConnect

Where did you copy the text you provided us for error "52H" in your opening post? If you copy/pasted it from the knowledgeable or a certain manual, then perhaps you yourself have made an error and inadvertently looked up and passed on an incorrect description for the error you first received?

Why is all that so important? Well, besides potentially leading us astray in trying to resolve an error that was apparently incorrectly described, it would also mean you received the same error twice, and not two separate errors, as you have described.

If I'm incorrect here, and that error text did indeed appear for the MicroLogix for an error 52h, and then changed for the next error 52h, then I would be most interested in learning that fact.

As you now "appear" to be over all the error hurdles? The above is somewhat irrelivent other than to appease my Curious George nature.

One other thing not mentioned here, I think?, but also mentioned in that other thread I linked, is that to quickly resolve I/O Configuration mismatches, such as error 51h or error 52h for the base, you can use the Read I/O Config button on the I/O Configuration dialog, while you are offline. It will not work while online with the processor. However, while offline, the software must have a valid path to the processor in order to read in the physical I/O Config.

That "path" being your latest hurdle, it would seem?

In agreeance with ASF, your communications issue should have nothing to do with the fact that you are using RSLogix 500 v8.3, which does indeed support the MicroLogix 1400 Series B.

While we await details on the communications setup you are trying to use, I do have some duct tape here, in case yours has come loose?

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. After spending several hours with R.A. tech support on the web, it turns out the the RSLinx version I had, 2.54, was having issues communicating with the version of RSLogix 500 I have 8.3. So they asked me to download a more recent RSLinx version and it worked fine. Now I have communication between my PC and PLC. Thanks everyone!