Differnce between Profinet and ethernet.

kiran

Hi,

Could anybody tell me the difference between ethernet and profinet? Can I connect an ethernet device to profinet network directly?

This is my first project with siemens PLC.

Thanks,

The PN ports on an S7 PLC can be used for 'regular' ethernet connections. That includes programming with STEP7, and attaching panels and PC HMIs.
Regular ethernet devices can co-exist with Profinet IO Devices and IO Controllers on Profinet networks, as long as everything is consistently hooked up via Profinet switches.

Taken from the Siemens Profinet Manual

PROFINET
(IEC 61158/61784) –
The international standard uses Industrial Ethernet and allows
real-time communication all the way to the field level,
but also integrates the enterprise level. With the full utilization
of existing IT standards, PROFINET allows isochronous
motion control applications, efficient cross-manufacturer
engineering and high availability of machines and systems
on the Industrial Ethernet.
PROFINET supports distributed automation (and controllercontroller

communication) and it allows fail-safe applications

Profinet uses the CIP Protocol Overhead Area of the
IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Message Frame to send process data.
This allows Profinet to send 1440 bytes of data per frame versus 500 bytes of data for a Standard Ethernet Frame.
This is approx. 3X data transfered per frame. Profinet can also send and recieve data directly to the application layer
without having to go through the IP and TCP/UDP transportation layers. What this basically means is Profinet sends more data much faster than Standard Ethernet but it can still be handled with off the shelf routers and network switches.

Jemac